Intro Ice fishing flasher

redpearl99

The salesman is dead wrong, lol.

can you explain why he's wrong? the graph models have dual beams of 20 and 60 degrees while the ice 35 flasher and some marcums can shoot a much narrower degree beam and can therefore pick up much better detail (hence why the graph models have a 2.5 inch target separation while the flashers have 0.5 inch)

Edited by redpearl99

To answer your questions as to why I liked the marcum, well I own one, it has been good to me, I've never needed a dual beam, as I haven't had issues shallow or deep, and you asked about flashers specifically. Nothing to do with hype, and I know nothing about the humminbird flashers, but I do own one of their colour graph/gps units and have been very happy with the performance.

can you explain why he's wrong? the graph models have dual beams of 20 and 60 degrees while the ice 35 flasher and some marcums can shoot a much narrower degree beam and can therefore pick up much better detail (hence why the graph models have a 2.5 inch target separation while the flashers have 0.5 inch)

I could see if you're fishing 5ft of water, but target separation of less then 2 inches in anything over 10ft will make zero difference. The graph is an easy choice for someone who's never iced fished before. Let alone the wider beams on the graphs which will allow you to see fish come into the zone way before a flasher will.. When you're fishing deep for lakers/whities, this is a huge advantage of a graph. Then you've also the advantage of using the graph in the summer time off a boat or similar..... can't do that with a flasher..

How essential is an ice transducer? I was out on Simcoe at 100 ft last year with a friend. He had a fairly basic Humminbird with a reg transducer.

He could see his jig/lure.

The ice transducer is not essential...I used the standard transducer mounted on a stick for my first season on the ice. The ice transducer is way more convenient when you're hopping from hole to hole...Drop it in and you're done.

The ice transducer is not essential...I used the standard transducer mounted on a stick for my first season on the ice. The ice transducer is way more convenient when you're hopping from hole to hole...Drop it in and you're done.

I hate the stick, ice ducer is really nice if you hit the hardware a lot. Well worth the $$$. Drop it in and go.

He had a piece of foam wrapped around the cable, so he could just drop it in as well.(Once the foam was adjusted for the ice thickness, which was easy to do)

He must have had the transducer rigged up to sit horizontally, another reason why the ice ducers are nice.. Nothing to rig up, just drop it in and go, it will always sit properly in the water.