Flotation foam what type to use?

glen

So the back wood floor of my boat is a little soft. I pulled a 2' chunk out and it was all water logged. Then i pulled out a piece of the foam and it was water logged too. A piece 1' sq and 1" thick weighed 4lbs.

So i have no choice but to pull the whole floor out of my boat. :wallbash:

What type of foam can i use that wont hold water at all???

Can i use some sheet foam and some spray foam?

Thanks.

Edited by glen

I would use the expansion foam sold in a can and used as insulation. It's VERY light, waterproof and dries hard. No cutting of foam...it'll expand its way into every crevice.

If you are using that canned spray foam be careful to read the instructions. Some brands will only work if you hold the can upside down.

Wear eye protection and DO NOT get it on your skin. I learned the hard way.

Use gloves and wear long sleeves. I think I still have a bald spot where I had to shave off a bunch or arm hair.....

Good luck with the project.

Go on iboats boat restoration forum, tons of info on foam. If you do put new foam in you need a closed cell type-how to's on install are important, foam is powerful when it expands so do read first. Personally, i'm in the no foam camp on restorations. All foam holds water, just not as easily....many boats out there are holding an extra 300-400 lbs of water in the foam.

What I did was get the 4x8 sheets of insulation from Lowe's and cut it to size then I wrapped the pieces with wide clear packing tape, it took a bit of time but that was several years ago and I pulled the back flooring section up the other day and it wasn't water logged at all.