Fall recap

Joeytier

Well, it was a hectic summer. Between my new job, new town (moved to the Temiscamingue area), new place, and an endless list of truck problems i honestly didnt get out much aside from some shorefishing (spitting distance to the ott. River) and a brookie hunt or two. Things have slowly ironed themselves out and I can usually sneak out in the bush enough to keep me content.

It's been great exploring the Ottawa river and reaping the bounty it has to offer. It is an amazingly productive stretch of river and would rarely have a problem taking home my limit within a km or so of my backdoor. September and early October were killer and i look forward to getting out at least once more to see how their patterns have changed with the biiiig drop in water temperature.

null_zpsd50932cd.jpg

null_zps598d04a4.jpg

null_zps53394f40.jpg

Lots of blues and saugers too...

null_zpsedeec6a2.jpg

null_zps430a9ea0.jpg

Even a bonus whitie! I hope i can begin to pattern these fish.

null_zps45d73d88.jpg

But as fun as that is, it's the inkand trout that i truly love to chase. Given that i have upwards of 25 to 30 stocked trout lakes within under an hours travel from me, the fall is a pretty special time around here, although it has very much been a case of boom or bust for me. The brookies have eluded me the two times i have tried, and the splake bonanza is hopefully upcoming this weekend.

But whats really been fun and rewarding has been figuring out the local rainbow trout lakes and patterning these fish, which behave so very differently from the local char species. For anyone who has tussled with great lakes steelhead you can imagine how fun these fish are (averaging 14-17") on ultralights and trolling hardware. These fish are among the tastiest specimens out there, so the 5 fish limit is appreciated haha.

There is also a stocked, year round lake trout lake nearby that sometimes yields tasty results.

null_zpsebd36f6d.jpg

null_zps9c2fb76c.jpg

null_zps90e47a32.jpg

null_zpsdf720499.jpg

null_zps7ee80d95.jpg

Cheers!

Glad to hear things are on the up n up for you now. That is a lot of change in ones life. Like you said though, there are numerous stocked lakes in that area, I doubt a person could fish em all in a life time. You think those rainbows fight hard now.... go back there and target them through the ice!

Ron - i can only imagine

Simon - big rivers that hold spawning wallys in the spring should definitely hold whitefish from what i understand

Pidge - i havent seen another soul fishing since september. Probably the one and only perk of not having a PAL

Interesting area to live Joey and I can't think of one person that has reported from those far up stretches of the Ottawa. It's almost a forgotten river up past Mattawa... for me anyways.

If that's your Lund I like it. Exact same as mine!!!

Hope to see more fishing from ya from up that way.

Bunk - That's the old man's boat and yes it is the same.

Nick - Of course! You've set a tradition for yourself with the NB ice fishing trip. Maybe we could get out for some trout as well.

The trout fishing has been heating up, even though the weather is as dreary and cold as ever.

null_zpsd476ecdf.jpg

null_zpsf3de1684.jpg

Just finished up an incredible local surf n turf dinner. No time like fall time...