Obtaining Roe...tough to do it properly...

Familyfisherman

Can you show a difference Bill? I would like to know,cause to me a bows a bow,but I can tell what a resident looks like.

look for a adipose fin clip or removal...then you have a stock fish....co incidentally are getting harder to find (from my experience )

look for a adipose fin clip or removal...then you have a stock fish....co incidentally are getting harder to find (from my experience )

While a clipped fish is most certainly a hatchery fish; an unclipped fish is not necessarily wild.

I am not sure about Lake Huron on Georgian Bay; but very few hatchery fish stocked in the Lake Ontario watershed are clipped. I am with Metro East Anglers and we stock unclipped bows, browns, cohos, and Atlantics. I don't think that Credit River Anglers clips their fish either. There was a period of about five years for which all Chinooks stocked in Lake Ontario were clipped. Prior to this Chinooks stocked at pen sites were clipped. To the best of my knowledge there is currently no clipping of Chinook salmon stocked in Lake Ontario. I am not sure if the MNR is currently doing any clipping on fish stocked in the Lake Ontario watershed.

Currently, any mature hatchery Chinooks in Lake Ontario will likely be clipped, so an unclipped mature Chinook from Lake Ontario is most likely wild. However, this was not the case in the past, and will not be the case in the future. Even now there may be some unclipped males, especially jacks, running the rivers.

Clipping has never been a reliable way to determine whether a bow, brown, Atlantic, or coho was a wild fish. There have always been unclipped fish being stocked. Many atlantics at too young of age (sometimes with their yolk sacks still attached) for clipping to be practical.

So no, you cannot always differentiate between wild and hatchery fish by looking for a fin clip.

Can you show a difference Bill? I would like to know,cause to me a bows a bow,but I can tell what a resident looks like.

Some pretty simple signs to look for. Laid down dorsal fins, body structure doesn't look right... I've caught both in the 'Geen, and it's a night and day difference. Not to mention the fight, lol.

Agreed, but the regs doesn't say "must release wild fish" (it should though).... So the weekend warrior hits up the geen gets his limit and goes home happier than a, you know what... Yet the "purist" frowns on the guy and leaves disgruntled.... Personally as long as its legal and it makes you happy, I could care less. If its such an issue now for which fish to keep within the regs perhaps more detail should be given to educate anglers on this topic b/c I see none of it on any publication.

Plus, that 8lb hen probably has some nice thick steaks too, just sayn'

Common sense and the regs don't always go hand in hand.. This is a perfect example.

the salmon are so successfull at spawning now the mnr is stopping the the fin clipping in ontario .. they say it is a waste of money.. i say its because they are holding there own and do not need million of dollars spent on putting chinooks and cohos in the lake ... there is a few other issues i have but will keep them to pms ..... the mnr and the federal fisheries act leaves alot to be desired ... it all needs a massive overhaul

the salmon are so successfull at spawning now the mnr is stopping the the fin clipping in ontario .. they say it is a waste of money.. i say its because they are holding there own and do not need million of dollars spent on putting chinooks and cohos in the lake ... there is a few other issues i have but will keep them to pms ..... the mnr and the federal fisheries act leaves alot to be desired ... it all needs a massive overhaul

New York state is no longer clipping the fish that they stock. Since the purpose of clipping the fish was to be able to identify stocked versus wild fish, there was no point in clipping only the Ontario stocked Chinooks. Also, most of the clipping was done with the automated stocking trailer owned by New York state. This trailer was no longer going to be available. There was no point in Ontario manually clipping ~540,000 Chinook if the U.S. was going to be stocking in excess of a million unclipped Chinook each year.

So far, there has been no reduction in the number of Chinook stocked on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario. The annual target remains at 540,000 fish per year.

Cohos have not been stocked by the MNR for many years. The MEA stocks the cohos and they are not clipped. I don't believe that MNR was clipping the cohos when were stocking them.

There were a few years were cohos were not stocked and it took a great deal of effort to find enough fish to provide eggs for the hatchery. They are recovering now that stocking has been going on for a few years now. They were definitely not doing well enough to sustain a fishery without stocking.

I have not seen any official results of any studies done on clipped versus unclipped Chinooks in Lake Ontario. Based on anecdotal evidence, I would say it has been about 50/50 wild versus stocked.

Edited by JohnBacon

Too little, too late Brian. I was there. I lived it bud. Watched it happen with my own eyes. Its the ONLY reason I'm not still there. My family fought to have something done, but it all fell to deaf ears until it was too late!

Lots of fish there now though. My old man has been taking advantage of the recreation fishing seasons, and trust me, it doesn't take long to catch 15/boat. Some days you drop a jigger down and have one on the first jig every time. Big fish too!

And yeah, you can't compare anything you get in ON to fresh fish!! Not even close!!

S.

Totally. I was there as a teenager, 25 years ago, and it was a blast. It was easy, fun and with delicious consequences. Our family trip took us through Gaspé that summer as well, and catching mackerel off the piers was a hoot!

p.-

I have to grudgingly admit this, because I learned the hard way a few springs ago. We like to think that wild fish have a sleeker outline & are more powerful, and it may be true; but it doesn't mean that a stocker won't get the proper genetics & display the same thing. Case in point, this lovely fish from 2010. I was convinced it was a natural fish - until I got home and looked at the pics on the computer (note the clipped pelvic fin!) The first fish is definitely a stocker, and you can compare with the second on which you can definitely see the huge pelvic fins are intact. The stocker far outperformed the other... but even so, not all stocking programs clip their fish's fins - so they might both be stockers! Luckily there are some tribs (eh, Bill?) where they are pretty much all wild anyway...

Hen has clipped pelvic fin

IMG_6685b.jpg

This guy got to keep his... at least he didn't fight as well as she did!

IMG_6675bc.jpg

p.-