Stoney/Clear Lake Walleye

Stoty

Hey everyone,

Has anyone been on Stoney/Clear Lakes for walleyes yet this year?

I am heading to my cottage on Clear Lake this weekend and hoping the bite is on!

Anyone have any reports yet?

“Don’t go” the bite is “horrible” just shoot me the keys to the cottage and I’ll check it for you, and honest, I wont drink your beer! But I will give you a report Monday night.

Edited by knotaclue

Fish 2 hours for walleye during the night time on stony and nothing. Then in the afternoon we went for a boat ride and found a bay with crappies. Small area but did manage to get a 12" crappie and some dinks. One was over the nest I think?

Ahhh, that's not good to hear!

And with the past few days of poopty weather, probably isnt going to help either.

Maybe I will just try to get some crappie's as well.

I am new to the Stoney/Clear lake area, so don't know much about it.

Does anyone have a topo map of clear/stoney?

Are there any good spots in Clear to find crappie's?

If you're lookin for weeds in the Kawarthas....Scugog has lots....LOL. Rented a boat there last weekend...bought the lake map from the marina...it said to follow weedlines. Couldn't quite do that cause all we found was weeds...never quite found the edge. The only fish we saw was a few large carp swimming around. Haven't really heard or seen many reports on Kawartha walleye yet either.

Caution!! Stoney can be a very dangerous lake for underwater rocks/shoals. Definitely get a map of the lake and take your time when driving around. There's lots of unmarked shoals/rocks just under the surface. Hope the Walleye bite turns on for you...

Ya, exactly.

I have a brand new '06 Merc on my boat, and dont feel like ripping it off the back of my boat!

I have the Adventure Fishing Maps of Clear/Stoney, but would prefer a nice topo of them.

Anyone have a link to download a topo map?

I'd go by the local marina up there and pick up a proper map. 20-30 bucks won't kill ya esp. with a new Merc hanging off the back. Go slow with someone on the bow of the boat and learn the waters before you rip around. Props are relatively cheap, a lower end however isn't and neither are repairs to the hull of your boat. Good luck and good fishing.

I don't know why this lake seems to be so different for Walleye. My good friend had a cottage on Stoney and everytime he put us onto Walleye they always came out of deeper water than I have ever fished for Eye's before.

Never seemed to matter if it was early season or late.

I'm talkin water depths over 70 feet. We'd vertical jig them and reel in REALLY slow to aid in releasing.

I didn't like the technique because I don't like the survivability factor on releasing fish pulled from the depths, but we would usually catch what we wanted to eat then leave. Give it a shot if all else fails.

Hookset.

Wow, that is deep!

Ya, I will give that a try if all else fails!

I am hoping that I can locate some weedlines, and see if I can't pull a couple out of there with cranks and jigs.

Last I heard, the weeds are still pretty low, but hopefully high enough to locate the edges.

Caution!! Stoney can be a very dangerous lake for underwater rocks/shoals. Definitely get a map of the lake and take your time when driving around. There's lots of unmarked shoals/rocks just under the surface. Hope the Walleye bite turns on for you...

i went to stoney lake last year in the summer and there was all weeds i didnt see one rock

I fished Stony about 4 years ago and found plenty of walleye in a bay in the weeds in about 12-15 feet of water. I was popping a all black 1/8 oz bucktail jig through the weeds where they thinned just inside the weed line.

Ya, thats what I planned on doing to see if I can get a couple.

Gotta love the bucktails.

You went to Stoney, and you didnt see a rock????

Are you sure you were in Stoney??? lol

Ya, thats what I planned on doing to see if I can get a couple.

Gotta love the bucktails.

You went to Stoney, and you didnt see a rock????

Are you sure you were in Stoney??? lol

positive i was at stoney it was all weeds in like 12 fow these long weeds from bottom to the surface