Muskie Reels - What do you use??

Sour_Squirrel

Why is buying quality gear overkill Paul ??

Much better than buying cheap stuff and replacing it every 2 years.

I agree, no such thing as overkill. While not a musky reel, one of my calcuttas has got to be over 15 years old now, and still in excellent shape after years of hard use! The calcuttas will last a lifetime if maintained! Buy cheap, buy twice! Edited by porkpie

I use a Tekota 500 for trolling

Calcutta D for all around - and is ok for blades

Curado 300 EJ for surface baits or anything that requires fast line pickup

Calcutta TE for blades - can pull twin 13's all day with no problem

I have used cheaper reels like the Abu C3's and they are ok - if you just fish muskies a day here and there. But if you fish them hardcore (ie 8 straight days on LOTW) you and your arms/wrists will appreciate a Calcutta TE or Abu Winch. If you have the budget get the good stuff - resale value on these items are solid as well.

Pete

I've never used a calcutta TE for musky.... How does it compare to the calcutta D for casting big blades? I find the calcutta D workable but trying to burn them all day is tough... I almost prefer using my abu C3 with the power handle but demoted that to my trolling rod.

The calcutta D fits good in the hand, very nice reel.

Why is buying quality gear overkill Paul ??

Much better than buying cheap stuff and replacing it every 2 years.

Well I may only get out for them once or twice a year Lew. But like you say, they will be with me for life, and I always wanted to own them. :good:

I just picked up a Curado 301 this year and I absolutely love it! I think I paid around $250 in July. I've also got a Calcutta 251 that I picked up back in 2004 and was on light musky duty and its still in great shape (I mainly use it for bass and pike now). You cant go wrong with a larger used one that should fall in your price range.

As for the Quantum Cabo, I have mixed feelings about mine. I love the look and feel of the reel, but it didnt stand up well to the stress of casting musky lures. The main gear cracked, and since Quantum/Zebco dont make the part I need anymore it just sits on my shelf collecting dust. I'd grab another, but wouldnt pay must over $100 personally - and I wouldn't cast any heavy baits with it.

theres the crack...

broken-cabo-reel-500x333.jpg

Then it fell into peices after pulling the reel apart.

cabo-reel-parts-500x333.jpg

Edited by Fishing Fury

I've wonder about them as a loaner if I've got someone with me who can't reel my lefthand reels.

Honestly, I have no complaints about the reel. It has done the job just fine for me and after trolling for pike with it, and occasional musky fishing over 5 years it performs just as well as my Shimano Cardiff (albeit I've used it a LOT more).