line selection

fishsmasher

On my spincast reels I have always been a fireline guy, I fish for bass, and take a canada trip every year. I like the 6lb. fireline. On my baitcasters for largemouth and my one canada trip I also use 10lb. fireline. I have talked into using powerpro...so I haven't even used it yet...so I can't wait...love the no stretch sensitivity.....

I'm a shore fisherman...for the stuff that I target, here's how I'm set up.

Walleye - 8 to 10 pound mono (usually use crank baits #5 to #7 sizes, also medium sized spoons)

Steelhead - 6 to 8 pound mono main line, with 4 to 6 pound flurocarbon leader (depends on clarity of water). Baits vary from small hooks using roe...also use small flys and jigs)

Carp - 10 to 12 pound mono (good quality hair rig for boilies...braid line)

I'm not married to using mono...just haven't tried others as of yet...I figure, why change if I'm having luck so far :lol:

Edited by ccmtcanada

It really depends on the application.

For example if I am fishing steelhead in a river I would prefer to use monofilament (PLine, Berkley Trilene XL)

If I was jigging for walleye or lake trout, bottom fishing carp, or casting lures into heavy cover for bass I would use a braided line (Power Pro, Rapala Titanium braid).

If I was trolling for salmon on Lake ontario in the middle of summer I would use Cortland flea flicker line or 7-strand stainless steel wire line to avoid problems with spiny water flea build-up.

It all depends...and gives you more reasons to buy more rods and reels :lol:

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I have 30 pound Powerpro on my baitcaster...which I am still getting used to (baitcaster). Last summer used it to work thick weeds and stuff, but as I say still learning to cast halfway decent with reel. I have spooled 20 pound PP on my spinning reel, which seems to work just fine, it still casts great etc. That real had 10 pound mono on it at start of last season, but when wife's big fish broke off it was promptly swapped for the PP. I also have an extra spool of 30 pound PP ready if I ever wanted to switch.

I have just picked up some 30 pound florocarbon leader material, having read that it may be a good idea to use. Gonna be picking up another spincast outfit for my 12 y.o daughter since the old one bit the dust last summer. Seen one of those retro Zebco ones at Gagnon Sports that will prolly get...dunno why but just love those old spincasts...lol...it will have 10 # mono on it.

There is alot of good line on the market today.When I was involved in the industry I had access to all the brands and I kept going back to Bagleys Silver thread Excaliber.Now that I have to pay for my line,that is still what I use.Super strong, very limp,and very little memory. 8# for Walleyes and 14# for lakers and Pike.

I only use the open face spinning reels. (Never tried a bait caster yet ... my bad)

For Bass = 12# Stren Superbraid. Tried a few other braids and had some bad luck with Spider Wire of the same Pound-test, but it could have been a bad batch. Seen using the stren for a couple years now with no problems.

For Pike and Musky - 80# Power Pro exclusively so far, but that's only been a few years since I started targetting these species.

I'm kind of a old fart so I'm bias towards mono line but here's my observations and applications.

Mono can be used where ever a braided line is used but not visa a verse.

For MOST of my fishing which is spinning I really like mono for many reasons. I am a fanatic for light line use. I use 4 lb test most of the time and rarely lose a fish.

I do use #30 Power Pro for my Dipsy Diver rods. It is so thin and gets my baits down better when walleye trolling on Lake Erie.

I really think the fishing line industry is relishing in this kind of stuff. They are making almost as much money on fishing line as the big oil companies are making on a barrel of oil.

Depends on the application.

4-6 lb mono on my ultra-light, 6 lb with lighter fluoro leader for my steelhead rod (which I haven't used at all this year!)

30 lb braided with fluoro leaders for my medium spinning outfits.

Heavier braided on my two baitcasters.

Mike

For chrome I have switched from Trilene XT to Raven's Main line in 6lb test it is 40% cheaper and IMHO outshines XT in almost every way except the high price. I also really like the fact that is bright lime green so I can see it. I have tried 5 different kinds of flourocarbon 4lb leaders and have gone back to good ole XT trilene 4lb. Catches just as many fish as everyone around using fluorocarbon and doesn't break off nearly as much. Costs about 80% less too!!!

For bassing 6lb Raven main line again. (the bass were I fish are pretty shy but if you have a 6" snell they will still blast the green line.

For carp I like the 6lb Raven again only because I caught I nice 10 lber pike fishing last Saturday and it handled that carp no worries. LOL

For the toothy critters 30lb spider wire if they are in muck and weeds.

For the fall run salmon I got some 8lb Mustad Ultra that really did the trick with a 6lb XT leader.

Something I don't like to admit since I started spending more on line is that the good ole Red Wolf line from Canadian tire I used to use caught a ton of fish too. It was just not every limber and if you got a CF it was line cutting time....

Lastly I really miss golden stren it was pretty awesome stuff back in the day.

Edited by Canuck2fan

I use a wide variety of lines since I have a good number of baitcasters and spinning reels and fish in a wide variety of situations. Most of the time, I use 4 lb mono. I just spooled up with my last filler spool of Berkley Sensithin so I guess I will have to find more mono that is similar to it since this mono is no longer available.

Where there are lots of snags when vertical jigging for walleye, I use 6 to 10 lb Fireline.

My baitcasters are all loaded with 12 to 30 lb test braided lines...Tuf-Line Plus, Gorilla, Power Pro, Tuf-Line XP, Spiderwire Fusion....all work great.

I don't like fluorocarbon lines in the least bit. I do sometimes use fluorocarbon leader material but I haven't seen any advantage in using the stuff. It is not more abrasion resistant nor stronger nor less sensitive (less stretch) than mono. However, it does sink faster (an option that I rarely want anyway) and is far more expensive than mono.

I fished the junk a lot, weeds, wood, boat docks, the slop. I wanted a line I was pretty confident was going to get the fish out or way from it, 17# Stren has worked well for me. Away from the cover I will go as low as 8# but not often, usually for a finesse presentation or to get my lure to run slightly deeper.

10# was my all purpose line, good for smallie fishing and walleye , steelhead on Erie. I usually stick with Stren but use Trilene and Vanish once in a while. I don`t like to play with the fish much, if I can get them in the boat as quickly as possible and release them or play with them in the livewell.

Line is a factor in the running depth of a lure(crankbait) a smallish crankbait will run deeper on smaller diameter line. Just like lure and reel choices though for the most part, what your comfortable with.