Super lines and abrasion resistance

spinnerdoc

I have recently spooled nanofil on two reels. One on a spinning and have had the chance to use it a few times. Making knots on this line is a breeze. Casts beautifully and is quite better than the ones I tried out years ago. Had a fish on off the piers and it all but rubbed slightly on the rocks and off goes the fish. I like the line so I just added a 10 lb ultra green leader in the end.

Having little exp. On the modern super lines what have you guys tried and found great when it comes to abrasion resistance? This has already been covered but would like go hear your thoughts on it. Thank you in advance.

Love Nanofil, but it's got zero abrasion resistance. Ice in your guides will rip it apart, as will any rock, zebra mussel etc etc. That being said there's a time and a place for everything and in certain circumstances it outshines anything else on the market.

None of the braids, or "superlines" have good abrasion resistance. period. They are too thin and have very little, or no, coating to protect them. 10lb XT mono is better than 20lb power pro when it comes to rocks and mussels.

A mono or fluorocarbon is the way to go if needed and the length will depend on the conditions.

Thanks guys for the input. I really like this line so far and like Bill said there is a time and place for everyrhing. I do find that the mono lines have better abrasion resistance my favorite is the maxima ultra green

Have little experience with the flourocarbons but have heard mixed opinions about it. When I was using power pro I liked it

As well. I used it a lot while carp fishing. Once in a while they did cut off on the rocks on the bottom but found it better than the nanofil in that respect. Now this was a few years back .

Love the line stretch aspect on the superlines. Makes setting the hook with a little more ease. They float as well which is a bonus in some situations.

Power pro has been pretty good to me for abrasion resistance, and tuff line is decent too. I have some spools that i've switched around that have lasted me 6-7 seasons. I do like nanofil on a few of my pickerel rods for jigging and drifting live bait as it casts a great distance, and has great sensitivity, but i always use a fluoro leader as its useless for abrasion resistance.

I've been a fan of TufLine Duracast the past couple years, but right now I'm just running plain fluoro. I don't find it as sensitive as Duracast, so I'm probably going to switch back and just use a fluoro leader (I hesitate because I'm not a fan of more than one knot in my repetoire. Guess it's time to learn a new one).

Never tried Nanofil for reasons stated here, and I used PowerPro a little this year and don't find it casts as far or feels as nice as Duracast, but I don't hate it as much as I did last year.

I haven't had Duracast, PowerPro, or the fluoro break on me, with or without a fish, unless I got snagged really badly and pulled.

Edited by DanA

I guess my name should be "Old School" as I have trouble trying to understand all these new lines. I have used Stren or Trilene in whatever strength I needed for many years and never had any problems with abrasion or knots coming out or the line snapping for no apparent reason. I've fished a lot of really crappy waters with rocks, logs, stumps, weeds, in all kinds of weather and cannot remember my lines letting go.

It's really interesting reading all the posts regarding new types of line and I'm sure all you guys have your favorites for different conditions, but I sometimes wonder how much of this is marketing, or are these new lines actually much better than the old stuff.

Well, just my opinion.

I guess my name should be "Old School" as I have trouble trying to understand all these new lines. I have used Stren or Trilene in whatever strength I needed for many years and never had any problems with abrasion or knots coming out or the line snapping for no apparent reason. I've fished a lot of really crappy waters with rocks, logs, stumps, weeds, in all kinds of weather and cannot remember my lines letting go.

It's really interesting reading all the posts regarding new types of line and I'm sure all you guys have your favorites for different conditions, but I sometimes wonder how much of this is marketing, or are these new lines actually much better than the old stuff.

Well, just my opinion.

You've never tried braid? If so you're missing out.

Well, just my opinion.

A braid virgin? They exist?

I guess it's time to come out of the dark ages and try something new. "Braid" eh? I'll give it a shot tomorrow, thanks BillM. Braid virgins? yeah I guess they're still around, but not for long.

Hey, make sure you use the palomar knot for braid.

With braid you will feel everything. spinners, rapalas etc. You'll know right away if your lure is fouled with weeds.

Hooksets need to be tamer. You'll rip the hook out of the fish's mouth if you're too aggressive.