Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

For those that thought Orpic was faking it here ya go

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Penguins placed defenceman Brooks Orpik on the injured reserve Monday with a concussion.

Orpik was knocked unconscious by Boston’s Shawn Thornton in the first period of a 3-2 Bruins’ win on Saturday night. Orpik left the ice on a stretcher when Thornton grabbed Orpik from behind, threw him to the ice and punched him.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Monday that Orpik was unconscious for "30 seconds or more."

Orpik flew home with the team, but is out indefinitely. Bylsma said Orpik is "doing quite well" but offered no timetable on a possible return.

Pittsburgh recalled defenceman Brian Dumoulin from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League to take Orpik’s spot on the roster.

Not really interested in how many trophies he has lining his case,he was nothing more than a predator. Many many so called highlight reels of him hitting the other teams players and them laying on the ice dazed or being carried off. Every hit a hit with the intent to injure.If you like that style of hockey hopefully you will also enjoy a league with nothing but meatheads picking off the stars one at a time.Whose career did Domi end,out of curiosity,not a fan of his either.

What facts suggest that Lindros was fine after the hit? I was told he was never the same after that hit but if you know better then maybe he was wrong.

Using the argument of a player poll,yeah thats solid,you might want to look up how they are conducted.Respect of his peers,like who,curious to know who told you that?

Ahhh the good ole macho line....if you dont like our manly way of doing things then go watch (insert any sport the manly men think is for sissys)

Ahh of course you aren't interested in his trophies, they prove that your argument that Stevens wasn't a good player but just a predator on the ice holds no merit. You're wrong. He's in the hockey hall of fame for crying out loud. Hows that for being respected by his peers and people who played and coached in the NHL? Funny that such a useless player who only managed to hurt people in his 1635 game career managed to fool so many people (who actually know hockey) into thinking he was a good player. Slava Kozlov himself stated that he thought Stevens hit was clean and that he was a clean player. Strange that TSN even celebrates his career by showing "Top 10 Scott Stevens Hits" on national TV. How dare they admire that monster?!!! Ahhh, the good ol' meathead line. If you don't like our wanting to change the game that has been physical and tough since it was created, you must be (insert insult here).

Tie Domi basically "ended" Ulf Samuelsson's career (if we use your benchmark on what constitutes "ending" a career) because Ulf called him Dummy. Seriously, he hurt his feelings so Domi hurt his face. Yes, Ulf was dirty but that was still way dirtier than anything Stevens did.

Lindros suffered his 4th concussion (2nd of the year) in March of 2000 (year of the Stevens hit). He criticized the trainers for not diagnosing his concussion, he suffered another concussion while training to get back in the lineup (his 5th), then returned in the playoffs, only playing two games before the Stevens hit (his 6th concussion). He received 4 concussions that season, was playing while still having post concussion syndrome. The Stevens hit was such a small part of why he had all of those issues. It was Lindros' fault, as well as his trainers/team doctors for even playing before he was ready. But oh, lets blame Stevens because he had a highlight reel hit in the playoffs, he's such a big meanie! I guess Stevens should just have avoided touching Lindros because he had concussions before. Oh wait, even that wouldn't have helped him much because Lindros gave himself one of his concussions while THROWING a hit. Oh, you're right, Stevens' peers all hated him because he hit them too hard in a CONTACT sport. Yep, you're spot on. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about so I'll just leave it at that and let you have your "victory". Too bad for you Scott Stevens still has his 3 Stanley cup rings, Conn Smythe trophy, made the all rookie team, was a 1st team all star once, 2nd team all star 3 times and played in the all star game 14 times. Oh and was the longest serving captain of a team he helped go from a "mickey mouse organization" to one of the most successful franchises of the last 20 years while being in the hall of fame and is very well respected in the hockey community.

Ahh of course you aren't interested in his trophies, they prove that your argument that Stevens wasn't a good player but just a predator on the ice holds no merit. You're wrong. He's in the hockey hall of fame for crying out loud. Hows that for being respected by his peers and people who played and coached in the NHL? Funny that such a useless player who only managed to hurt people in his 1635 game career managed to fool so many people (who actually know hockey) into thinking he was a good player. Slava Kozlov himself stated that he thought Stevens hit was clean and that he was a clean player. Strange that TSN even celebrates his career by showing "Top 10 Scott Stevens Hits" on national TV. How dare they admire that monster?!!! Ahhh, the good ol' meathead line. If you don't like our wanting to change the game that has been physical and tough since it was created, you must be (insert insult here).

Tie Domi basically "ended" Ulf Samuelsson's career (if we use your benchmark on what constitutes "ending" a career) because Ulf called him Dummy. Seriously, he hurt his feelings so Domi hurt his face. Yes, Ulf was dirty but that was still way dirtier than anything Stevens did.

Lindros suffered his 4th concussion (2nd of the year) in March of 2000 (year of the Stevens hit). He criticized the trainers for not diagnosing his concussion, he suffered another concussion while training to get back in the lineup (his 5th), then returned in the playoffs, only playing two games before the Stevens hit (his 6th concussion). He received 4 concussions that season, was playing while still having post concussion syndrome. The Stevens hit was such a small part of why he had all of those issues. It was Lindros' fault, as well as his trainers/team doctors for even playing before he was ready. But oh, lets blame Stevens because he had a highlight reel hit in the playoffs, he's such a big meanie! I guess Stevens should just have avoided touching Lindros because he had concussions before. Oh wait, even that wouldn't have helped him much because Lindros gave himself one of his concussions while THROWING a hit. Oh, you're right, Stevens' peers all hated him because he hit them too hard in a CONTACT sport. Yep, you're spot on. It's pretty clear you have no idea what you're talking about so I'll just leave it at that and let you have your "victory". Too bad for you Scott Stevens still has his 3 Stanley cup rings, Conn Smythe trophy, made the all rookie team, was a 1st team all star once, 2nd team all star 3 times and played in the all star game 14 times. Oh and was the longest serving captain of a team he helped go from a "mickey mouse organization" to one of the most successful franchises of the last 20 years while being in the hall of fame and is very well respected in the hockey community.

Ok and after all that being said. The root of the argument was Scott Stevens could not play how he did back then in today's game. Plain and simple. A majority of his hits did target the head or were to late for today's game. He would have had several suspensions. There is no doubting that.

This is the no hit league now after all.

i am sure you put alot of effort into your post but it sounded like a bit ;like a 12 year old girls review on Justin Bieber so I gave up reading She is convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt he is a super star and there is no changing her mind. Oh ...he has lots of trophies and awards as well as total respect of his peers in the music industry so he must be amazing.

I thought I was to the point on the Lindros issue...guess not so here goes nothing.I was at a hitting/concussion seminar years ago and one of the speakers was Brett Lindros. He commented that we do not fully understand head injuries or their long lasting effect. He then said Eric was never the same after the Stevens hit.

Edited by Chance

i am sure you put alot of effort into your post but it sounded like a bit ;like a 12 year old girls review on Justin Bieber so I gave up reading She is convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt he is a super star and there is no changing her mind.

Haha yep, I'm convinced Scott Stevens was a good player. I guess I'm just like a 12 year old girl, as is every single hockey analyst out there apparently. Nice that you have to resort to childish insults since you can't actually refute anything that I've said. I feel so bad though that you called me a 12 year old girl, almost as bad as I feel when my 5 year old niece calls me silly.

I don't like the thought of contact being taken out of kids hockey. When I played, contact started in PeeWee and went on from there. Peewee was what? 12 and up? Taking out of Peewee and even Bantam but allowing it in say Midget is a recipe for disaster. You need to learn how to give and take a hit when you're younger, just like riding a bike. You get those big boys up in Midget that have never hit before and you're going to end up with some serious injuries. I realize this is way off topic, but tb4me hit on a pretty good point. Teach the kids young and it won't be a big deal once they start getting bigger and stronger.

The only problem you run into Bill is the size difference of the boys at that age. You have 5 foot tall 125 lb boys skating with 6'4" 185 lb kids.It is manditory though that they go through a hitting clinic. I do agree with you though.

Haha yep, I'm convinced Scott Stevens was a good player. I guess I'm just like a 12 year old girl, as is every single hockey analyst out there apparently. Nice that you have to resort to childish insults since you can't actually refute anything that I've said. I feel so bad though that you called me a 12 year old girl, almost as bad as I feel when my 5 year old niece calls me silly.

Thats strange I read your post sounded like a 12 year old girls review not that you were one.Guess you see what you want.

Sorry if taking the word of erics brother is not good enough but then again ya sees what ya wants ta see.

I wish I never brought Scott Stevens up....play nice kids!!!!

Typical habs fan on a Leafs thread..Sigh....Kidding of course I enjoy your input lookinforwalleye keep it coming..Habs fan or not your a good addition to this thread..Now stop stirring the proverbial Stevens pot would ya!

Typical habs fan on a Leafs thread..Sigh....Kidding of course I enjoy your input lookinforwalleye keep it coming..Habs fan or not your a good addition to this thread..Now stop stirring the proverbial Stevens pot would ya!

Thank you sir...and I yours!!! I think most here realize this is just a fun thread, I hope it stays that way!!!

Thats strange I read your post sounded like a 12 year old girls review not that you were one.Guess you see what you want.

Sorry if taking the word of erics brother is not good enough but then again ya sees what ya wants ta see.

Funny that my review sounds like a 12 year old's, when mine is well thought out, contains facts and I actually know how to speak English. Maybe you only see a resemblance to 12 year old girls because you have a thing for 12 year old girls.....

Edited by Dontcryformejanhrdina

Funny that my review sounds like a 12 year old's, when I'm the one who can actually spell... Unless English isn't your first language, then I apologize. It's quite clear who the immature one here is so I'll leave it at that. Have a good day bud.

I was not aware that a 12 year old could not spell,learn something every day.

I find spelling really takes a back seat in importance to reading comprehension. For instance this statement "it sounded like a 12 year old girls review on Justin Bieber"

has nothing to do with maturity or an insult as you perceived.Rather it points out the blind exuberance one feels when media hype ie trophies ,awards etc. are involved

If poor spelling is a sign of immaturity what does poor sentence structure indicate?

Ok and after all that being said. The root of the argument was Scott Stevens could not play how he did back then in today's game. Plain and simple. A majority of his hits did target the head or were to late for today's game. He would have had several suspensions. There is no doubting that.

This is the no hit league now after all.

Some people are having a hard time understanding what I originally said. I'm glad it wasn't hard for you (or most) to figure out, lol.

Enough. Keep the thread civil and banter if you so choose, through pm's please

Agreed, this topic has 95 pages, 30,000 plus views and 1,800 plus posts and is totally silly but it`s fun and I think most here are having some good harmless fun with it, so I wish the 2-3 people that like to offend other people would just move on.

And again I am sorry I brought SS into the discussion.

This just in NHL drops a deuce on Dion Phaneuf..Thats 2 games folks...See ya sat night Dion....
Wow in 2 games he forfeits $66,666.66 in salary..Makes me want to puke as I sit here on my lunch break lucky to make that in one year....Sigh

Edited by tb4me

Insane that in 2 games he'll miss out on 66K !!!!

Imagine what guys in the baseball and basketball pull in making upwards of 25 mil a season!!!

2 games is fair, just wish the whole team would have played the Boston bears with that much intensity.... Instead he had to pick the smallest guy on the team. Lol