Finally fished a new lake.

Bernie

Having a place on Nipissing I rarely fish any other lake. Been more years than I can remember actually.

It all began in the spring when a fellow that makes our boat tops invited my brother Mark, cousin Gerry and my Dad up to his camp just a few miles south of Kesogami.

My Dad couldn't make it, so a family friend, John Arkwright, was invited to fill in.

We struck off early on Friday AM for the drive north.

P1040441_zpseb74542a.jpg

We had a lot of fun chatting up stories from past hunting, fishing and snowmobiling trips along the way. It made the trip seem like it was short and easy.

We arrived at the landing where our host had a pontoon boat to take us across to his place, loaded our gear and made our way over to his northern hideaway.

P1040429_zps16c2a312.jpg

We unloaded our gear, got the place opened up and settled in for the weekend.

Great place in the wilderness, a real northern getaway. No wonder he loves it there.

P1040428_zps24bd9d50.jpg

The weather was clear and pleasant with a slight southwest wind. Not quite t-shirt weather but a sweater kept things just right.

After settling in it didn't take long for us to head out on the water for a couple hours of fishing.

Didn't take long for the first hit either. My jig just hit the water and had a hit on the first cast. Missed it!

But it was OK. We had our count in no time at all.

Back to the camp for refreshments, a big fish dinner and more tales.

Next morning it was more of the same weather and it warmed up pleasantly.

We went to another spot he fishes and it was still rather slow compared to the night before.

We did end up with 12.

P1040436_zps27740771.jpg

We tried a couple more spots, but more of the same so we decided we would have some on shore time until the evenings fish again.

Some of us had a nap. :)

We decided on a late supper and headed out to finish up the days fishing.

Again, it was slow compared to the night before but managed a few more. Surprising considering a front was coming in and the wind became brisk out of the southwest.

Me with a pickereye.

P1040435_zpsf4aa960b.jpg

Gerry did bag up a nice pike we kept.

P1040439_zpsa3aacc13.jpg

We had enough and headed back for another evening at camp.

While walking the beach I noticed a trail in the sand. A little investigation found a poplar had been chewed off by a beaver.

P1040430_zpsdefe0650.jpg

A couple more shots from the camp.

P1040426_zps36a152e6.jpg

P1040425_zps2052045c.jpg

Sunday morning early threatened rain and it was blowing stiffly from the south. We had a breakfast, shot the breeze for a while and packed up for the trip home.

By the time we were ready to go it was pouring rain but the top on the boat was keeping us dry and comfortable for the ride back up the lake.

Again, the company on the ride home made it a fun time as we laughed and joked along the way.

Certainly a trip for all of us to remember.

Edited by Bernie

Great report Bernie, brings back lots of memories the wife and I use to go there every year for a few years but we haven't been for 2 years, We are hoping to go next year. We camp at the camp ground were You launched from Good people. Thanks for the report Mike