Offshore Salmon fishing at Port Hope

Nayyer

Hello every,

My name is Sardar from GTA and love fishing.

Last year I bought a 16' used aluminium boat but mostly went perch or bass fishing. I never had a chance to fish salmon from a boat. I was planning to go port hope this week-end but not sure how far away from shore I need to go keeping in mind safety element of this small boat. Both boat and motor are in good shape.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for prompt response. I really don't have experience of big water but certainly will go after ensuring weather. Secondly I am looking a time when fish is closer to river end before river run, don't want to go deep into lake.

Thanks

Always check the local weather forcast before you go.

Windspeed and direction.

Anything out of the S, SW or worse, SE more than 15km/hr or 10 knots, is trouble.

Lots of space for waves to build.

A N wind even 15 km/hr will give you 2-3 ft waves 4 miles out.

Sailing websites like Sailflow are a a good info source or Environment Canada

Be careful. The Lake doesn't careI

Well I've heard of fish being caught on certain lake O piers already... So I would imagine you could get into fish right outside the mouth...

But as others have said... Lake O can get nasty... Especially when the waves are coming towards the river mouth... They start breaking and getting very sharp and steep... I'd wait for a north wind....

Thanks for prompt response. I really don't have experience of big water but certainly will go after ensuring weather. Secondly I am looking a time when fish is closer to river end before river run, don't want to go deep into lake.

Thanks

You can go on Lake O if you are smart about it, do lots of research, weather wise. Let people know where you will be going and for how long. Have all safety equipment onboard, have some form of communication if SHTF.

And as for getting into fish, we don't go too far off, all our fish come between 150 - 200 FOW which isn't far at all, i can see the bluffs while we troll about.

DO you need to go this deep for fish ?

No you don't, wait till fall and the fish will start stacking up in the mouth's of rivers, and you can target them trolling there. If you need more information, don't hesitate to p.m members of this forum, most of us are more than willing to help :)