Need Toyota Mechanic Hamilton & Surrounding Area

Fish4Eyes

Having issues with the 4Runner intermittently starting. 1 week ago I go to start it and it wont go. Open up the hood to look for anything visible and nothing. Just as my friends dad is bringing jumper cables I decide to try it again and it fires. It worked for 1 week flawlessly after that. Last night it did it again at the gas station, but I got it to start after repeated attempts. When I got home, if would not start again, same with this morning.

The dash on the lights come on half the time and the other half the time they don't. When they do come on they turn off when I turn the key past a specific point. When they remain on, the car starts. When the lights are off on the dash, no other electrical in the car works either ie) windows, door locks.

Thinking I need to take it in somewhere. Anybody know of any good Toyota mechanics in Hamilton and surrounding area?

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I know some guys cring thinking about taking a vehicle to a dealer. What I have learned you can spend twice or more a dealer charges because the local garage guy may work on a half dozen items trouble shooting for 1. The dealer see Toyotas all day, 6 days a week, new and old and they have all the Toyota specific diagnostic tools the local guy may not have.

Sounds like an alternator, electrical systems are unique.

Take it to Upper James Toyota or Parkside Toyota in Hamilton, note both dealerships are owned by the same person so each will match the others quote.

For regular service, oil, brakes, all the standard stuff I go to my local guy and support the little guy trying to put food on the table, for diagnosing a problem, especially electrical off to the dealer it goes, sometimes like I said it's less money in the long run and done right the first time, most times.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Old Ironmaker: its all apprentices working at RedHill, which really concerns me. They don't even remove skid plates to change oil. I get home and see puddles of oil on my driveway and then to be told, they didnt clean it up properly.

That is something it definetely could be Bill. They were also notorious for bad connectors on starter.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I would second bringing the vechicle to the to a Toyota dealer, sure you'll pay more, but at least you'll be leaving with peace of mind that everything is running good again.

I agree but being handy saved me so much money over the years.This is not hard,just take a visual check of the terminals,are they clean?could be a miss or hit situation.Is the ground or positive loose? Edited by davey buoy

Fish4Eyes, have a look here www.sontt.com I know a few members from this club hook up with the club I'm in. The link is to an Ontario Toyota truck Club. Just a thought. Sounds like ignition or maybe a bad/corroded wire on the file pump. Hope this helps.

Without a doubt take your vehicle to Anju automotive. Think that is the name, but that is the only place I take my Highlander. It is right beside the Mr. Tranmissions on Cetennial and Barton. Taken my vehicle many times to him and has been bang on. Only $75/hr. if you can buy your parts ahead of time on rockauto.com first.that would also save you. Andrew is a solid guy.

my dad has same truck, 2 of them. clean the terminals if that doesnt work then loosen starter bolts/connections ( with battery disconnected ) and tighten back up, temporary fix that probably wont work.

my dad rebuilt the starter on his 1996 and this random no start stopped happening. so thats probably best option.

in the other truck, a 2000, it happened as well and cleaning the terminals worked until a new battery was purchased and we havent had the problem yet. (knocks on wood)

Edited by Djeep

Without a doubt take your vehicle to Anju automotive. Think that is the name, but that is the only place I take my Highlander. It is right beside the Mr. Tranmissions on Cetennial and Barton. Taken my vehicle many times to him and has been bang on. Only $75/hr. if you can buy your parts ahead of time on rockauto.com first.that would also save you. Andrew is a solid guy.

I believe the shop is called Anjen. Based on my searches, he seems to be the only Toyota tech around our area (aside from dealerships). I was wondering if he was good, thanks for chiming in. He has always been honest and gets everything fixed the first time?

Thanks for all your responses guys. Cleaned the battery terminals and she fired right up. The positive lead I could have pulled off by hand how loose it was :wallbash:

Heh. Always nice when it's the simple things that go wrong. Glad you got it fixed!