French River (Wolseley Bay area) - advice

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

I am heading up to the French in 2 weeks. Haven't been there in a couple of years and have not fished this particular area of the river. Staying at Totem Point Lodge on Wolseley Bay. This is my only trip this year, so want to make the most of it!

I have tried to do some searching on fishing tips and to be honest, the stuff I have found has not been very favourable about the fishing in that area.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Happy to receive locations by PM if preferred :)

There are no minnows available, but will be bringing cranks and worm harnesses for weed edges and jigs and drop shots for deeper water.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Pete,

I was up in that area from July 13-20th of this year. That was the week of the heat wave and fishing was tough all week, except the thursday, when the front went through.

We stayed at Moonlight Bay Cottages, just outside of Alban, which is only a few KM's from where your going.

Smallies seemed to be the only fish willing to cooperate consistantly. Water levels were at their norm for this time of year. The deer flys were murder during the day and the usual skitters and black flies as evening arrived.

Our week turned into more of a family vacation, then a fishing trip. The heat was too much, even early in the day. We did have a blast and plan on going again next year, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a fishing destination.

HH

Have been to both places and you're going to enjoy your stay. Not as fancy as Wolsley Lodge or Moonlight but I found it very charming. Didn't venture to Chaudiere and hung around area around Cranes. Found bass in this vicinity (5 Fingers etc). Pike avoided my offerings when I was there :(

have fun but mind the rocks there, they're nasty on props.

Edited by woodenboater

I used to fish that area the first week of August every year.

Caught my biggest large mouth bass (7.5) and biggest musky (53 1/2") up there.

I usually found the bass up the Wolseley River in the slop and muskies were caught on structure and fast breaking shore lines and points.

I stayed at Wolsely Lodge many years ago when Jules & Nicole owned it . We did fairly well at the 5 fingers rapids for walleye. They were excellent hosts every time we arrived. She was a realtor from Sturgeon Falls. Then some people from Barrie who owned a catering business bought it. They were NOT the nicest people I have dealt with. I heard they sold out. Does anyone know where to locate Jules & Nicole. I'd love to meet up with them again.

I did well in the north channel for muskie ! There is a lot of water that looks good. I found my self always trolling from spot to spot while looking for good structure. Cant really help ya out with walleye fishing as that isn't my bag but there are some brutes in there for sure !

• 2 weeks later...

We I dont know about that. I have been fishing there for several years now and there is some awesome stuff around. I have fished through that area only to have moved a few fish. Maybe I just like fishing where there isnt any cottages lol.

But there are some good looking spots near by there.

There are spots that I make the 20minute trip for.... at 60mph.

We were up 2 weeks ago and raised 3 musky...none in Wolseley Bay. In the spring, when we were stay at lochaven, someone caught a 47 in the small channel to Resolute Rapids. They are all over. I've heard that Wolseley Bay is very good, just haven't seen one there yet, although haven't fished it much either...Always heading up river !

have fun F_ast. And don't miss Harald's Friday night buffet. Never seen a turkey on a buffet table look so good...

WR

Harald's Friday night buffet is no more. He only serves to the public on Fri, Sat, Sun by reservation only with 3 choices of entree on the menu. Imo that place is going downhill quickly !

Its in a prime location. Thats what keeps me there. I have been there 8 years straight and some years more than once a season. I tried the Brier just up the river a little but the docking is not that great for my boat.

As for the fishing, I seem to always do well up there. Supprised Harold doesnt have any of our muskie pics up on his wall of fame.... but we do have a picture up there of a 90lbs sturgeon on my buddies lap we caught fishing for muskie.

Hope we get into one of the monsters I have seen in the last few years... and shes always on the same spot!!!

I have been there quite a few times over the years and may very well return some day.

They are working on remodelling and updating the cabins - trying to do a couple or so a year.

They've done a few other upgrades as well.

Why are you indicating that it's going downhill ?

Is the fact that they stopped having the Friday Buffet the only reason ?

Just curious for my own knowledge - that's all. Shoot me a PM if you like.

Couple new things from Wolseley that I ran into last year.

1 - There new dock has Hydro right there and there is an extra charge to request that docking there. (somewhat limited space).

2 - They have Wi-fi now, for which there is a charge to use. (Harold actually enters the password for you - in your device).

Harald's Friday night buffet is no more. He only serves to the public on Fri, Sat, Sun by reservation only with 3 choices of entree on the menu. Imo that place is going downhill quickly !

Edited by Rich Clemens