Calcutta 700 charter series

Rizzo

Looking to replace my Abu Record that got launched into the lake last week. Any thoughts on this reel? I am looking for something that would be suitable for both trolling and casting, as I split my time between the two. Thanks for any input.

Choose something else Roger. The 700 excels at trolling but is not easy to cast with because turning the handle will not activate the clutch. You have to manually flip the clutch lever after each cast to retrieve your line.

I'm with you Roger, my trolling gear doesn't even get wet until at least late September.

As for trolling reels, have you looked at the Shimano Tekota 600LC ?? It's an excellent reel and a good chance it'll be cheaper than the 700 series.

Edited by lew

Yeah, those lanyards are one of the best things a guy can add to the boat Wayne and I've also been using them for a few years. Much less spendy than replacing expensive gear when things go wrong....which sometimes happens :lol:

bought a calcutta 400 off kijiji last night. Not a 400B or D or TE just a plain old 400. It was never used still in the box guy told me maybe 6 years old? Hopefully it is comparable with the B, maybe it was the original before they started with all these other styles

Its a 4.7 gear ratio, would that help?

That's a low gear ratio Roger so it'll make it easier, I'm just a firm believer in the large reels for trolling. The big spools with a power handle just makes life so much easier for cranking in big deep divers without slowing the boat down.

I like to have different dedicated reels for different jobs, but that's just me.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/New-Fishing-2013%7c/pc/105625080/c/112058280/Daiwa-Lexa-300-Casting-Reel/1386929.uts?WT.srch=1&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=google%7cFishing+Category%7cUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=stEcoPnq&rid=20&gclid=COim59bZ0rgCFQsV7AodQDwA3Q

I will speak for this reel since I just put it thru the test phase of ownership. It started out chucking 12 oz of bait and lead using a 9ft boat rod for big blue catfish. It has controlled up to 40lb fish with no issues. I then took it to Canada and mounted it on a 7.5 ft muskie Rod that Spiel made for me and threw everything from double bladed inline spinners, the fred, deep diving crankbaits and other heavy lures. I found it to be a great choice after 1/2 a season of use. I was not able to see if it could control a muskie because I haven't thrown 10,000 casts yet.

Note this reel is available in 2 handle configuration the one I am using is the power handle with the single knob.

Art

That's probably a fine reel but the big benefit of the Calcutta 400 and 700 is the clicker for trolling. If you're operating the boat, the clicker is nice to have when you can't keep an eye on the rod at all times. It's also a great feature when your buddy is nodding off and you give a few quick pulls and watch him jump.

bought a calcutta 400 off kijiji last night. Not a 400B or D or TE just a plain old 400. It was never used still in the box guy told me maybe 6 years old? Hopefully it is comparable with the B, maybe it was the original before they started with all these other styles

The 400 is a good reel. The 400B is 5:1 and has a bearing upgrade. They both sell well used and for similar money for comparable condition. Stay away from the S and BSV, no level wind.

The TE is a zuped up B and the D is the newest offering. Mixed reviews on that one.

Ya this one has the level wind. I do like what Lew was saying about the big reel for trolling. If this 400 replaces my Record that got lost as a casting or trolling reel(they seem comparable), then I could grab the 700 as well and use it strictly for trolling...the right tool for the right job you might say. I'm looking to add 1 more to the fold, maybe grab the 700 too...although the revo toro winch is an interesting option as well. So the last addition will be the 700 or the toro..then I'm done (so I told my wife)

Ya this one has the level wind. I do like what Lew was saying about the big reel for trolling. If this 400 replaces my Record that got lost as a casting or trolling reel(they seem comparable), then I could grab the 700 as well and use it strictly for trolling...the right tool for the right job you might say. I'm looking to add 1 more to the fold, maybe grab the 700 too...although the revo toro winch is an interesting option as well. So the last addition will be the 700 or the toro..then I'm done (so I told my wife)

If you're going to add to the arsenal, I strongly advise a line counter reel for trolling. This will help you nail down running depth and reproduce the set up. For example; you nail a 'ski 40' back 35' out on the board and 3.8 mph, it would be nice to be able to put the lure right back where it was.

My preference is the Shimano Tekota 600LC. Lots of guys run Okuma Convector 30 with great results at 60% of the Tekota cost. The sacrifice with the Okuma is that it's a little bulkier and not as smooth as the Tekota. Durable, good drag, good clicker; very reliable just a little less sexy lol

Edit to add...

All my line counter setups perform dual duty as Salmon setups... just in case you get the itch!

Edited by SlowPoke

..then I'm done

Your never done Roger....never.

I said I was done years ago, then I went to the spring fishing show a couple years ago to buy a new fishing pole I didn't need and came home with a new Skeeter instead....that I didn't need.

Then I decided I should buy a new truck to pull the Skeeter....that I didn't need.

Nope, your never done....never....but it sure is fun buying stuff :lol:

Edited by lew