CT waders

redpearl99

So now that I'm getting my steelhead gear ready for the run this fall, I was looking into getting some waders. Problem is that I've ready though many threads of people saying that Canadian tire has some good waders when on sale, but they never really say which waders. They just say "go get the Canadian Tire waders".

So can someone tell me which of their waders are the good ones and which of them are the junk?

This pair is on sale this week but I don't know whether it's good. It's also a stocking foot wader while I would like to get a boot foot wader (will keep the cost down if i dont have to buy seperate wading boots). http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/WadersFishingApparel/PRDOVR~0770006P/Stocking+Foot+Wader.jsp?locale=en

Lebaron also has a set of Hodgman waders on sale of $58, but again I can't find any good info on those. http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp13/2013specials_patagonia.pdf

I'll also make a WTB thread in the classified section if anyone has a pair they want to sell.

Thanks, B

Do yourself well and buy a sock wader and buy the boots. I have been down this way many years ago,and can see the great difference., Waders/boots attached TROUBLE. I cant believe they still sell them.. You will not regret getting a pair of sock waders and boats.

You dont have to blow the bank for a combo pair. Check on line.

Edited by Misfish

I personally can't stand stocking foot waders, but that's just my preference, and most times I'm in waders, its cold, and I'm hunting ducks.

I have used the explore neoprene camo waders from CT, and honestly, they lasted just as long as any other waders I've evver owned.

S.

I personally can't stand stocking foot waders, but that's just my preference, and most times I'm in waders, its cold, and I'm hunting ducks.

I have used the explore neoprene camo waders from CT, and honestly, they lasted just as long as any other waders I've evver owned.

S.

I use the Explorer full ones.Not to good for bushwacking I would think.So far so good.

Edited by davey buoy

If your walking tribs,it a whole dif Shane. Im sure you can relate. If I was duck hunting,it wouldnt matter. Big boot waders neo,s would be my choice. But if your bush wacking tribs,sock waders and boots,are the way to go,. Davey,,,,,,,Keep up will ya,LOL

The second link are the ones I used, but they were camo. I got them for $90 and used them for 3 seasons of duck hunting.

I never like the stocking foot waders. The feet wore out on every pair I owned. I don't do the river thing any more, but I spend a fair amount of time in waders. My preference is boot foot, with the biggest lugs on the soles I can find.

Right now I have red heads. Can't remember the name of them, but you don't want to be hiking a trib in them. Standing balls deep in water in below zero temps is no problem tho...... :)

S.

Like mentioned above, stay away from neoprene if you plan on doing any walking. those non breathable chest waders like you posted above are not much better either.

A pair of good quality Breathable stocking food chest waders is what I would recommend BUT

since you're on a budget, just get yourself some boot foot hip waders from CT. get one size big shoe size so you can put some thick woolen socks when the temps drop in the late fall.

save some money and buy Simms, Patagonia or Redington later on.

I love boot foots for hunting, but for steelheading I would only go breathable with stocking foot and wading boots. I'll be honest, I only wear waders for steelheading when I absolutely have too! I find a comfy pair of lined rubber boots work well in a lot of circumstances on smaller flows. When you get into bigger water, your going to wade! I have explore camo boot foot waders, and they are great, but they suck in long walks!

So I did some further research (reviewed all the CT fliers from the past year) and wrote down the lowest sale prices of the different waders they offer. The following were the lowest sale prices along with the date of the sales

$199 breathable Explorer boot waders - $99 (August 3, Sept 21, May 3, June 14)

$129 Explorer boot waders - $ 78 (April 26)

$119 Explorer boot waders - $ 60 (April 12)

$69 pvc waders - $35 (April 19)

Also, the $199 breathable waders will be on sale again next week for $99

I just picked up some neopreme waters from BPS this spring. From my expereince with them, I wouldnt recomend them (and they arent the cheap ones they offer, they run $190 typcailly, but where around $60 off on sale). I do find them warm, but they are not comfortable and for a guy my size (5'10, 155lbs) they are way too big around the waist and chest. I'm planning on a pickign up a set of sock waders next.

If you have a bit more meat around the top, you probably wont have my problem! :D