Kawartha Trip Report

muskylund1

My brother, nephew and I spent July 6-13 on Lower Buckhorn fishing for Bass and Muskies. The Bass fishing was good, but not great. We caught lots of quality fish in the 1-2 lb range and a few in the 2-4 lb range. Muskie fishing was very good with 21 Muskies boated for the week. Largest was a 47" Muskie boated by my 13 year old nephew Ben on the first night. We had only been trolling for about 5 minutes when he hooked that Kawartha beauty. It was his first Muskie ever. One of our goals for the trip was to get Ben his first Muskie, but I had no idea it would be such a nice fish.

Of 21 Muskies boated, 11 were caught casting and 10 were caught trolling. All of our trolling fish were taken in the evenings from 7:00 to 10:00. Productive trolling lures were Wiley Headshakers, Wiley Deep Divers and 10" Jakes. Productive casting lures included bucktails and large soft plastic swimbaits such as Kickin Minnows and Swimmin Joes. For casting we focused on the deep weedlines of large main lake weed beds. For trolling we focused on the Southern end of Deer Bay in the 15' to 25' depths. The Muskies were relating schools of suspended baitfish that were 6' to 10' down over deeper water. There seemed to be an evening peak each night during which large schools of baitfish would get very thick and high in the water column. Experience tells me this is usually because they are being chased by predators.

I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Tom

003 (Small).JPG

004 (Small).JPG

009 (Small).JPG

007 (Small).JPG

That is a very good week of Muskie fishing .Great job Ben that is a very nice fish anytime let alone your first . You will always remember that now comes the tough part finding a bigger one . Thanks for the report and the pictures nice job

We've been fishing this lake for 33 years. I was about Ben's age when we started going there. It was not the best week of fishing we ever had there, but it definitely ranks in the top 6 for Musky.

Tom

Wow, great week of musky fishing there!

I was about same age when i was taken musky trolling up there and became hooked on it for rest of life.

Looks like an excellent time. :Gonefishing: