A small miracle and a big Warning

smitty55

My brother owns a 2000 Nitro 882 with a 150 Merc and a Shorelander trailer he bought 5-6 years ago. This was originally a package deal sold at gmas. It hasn't seen a lot of use the last few years between his son moving out and weird overheating issues among a few adventures with the engine. But it's been fine since last summer.

Here's the story. Our family cottage is on Lac Pemichagan off of the Point Comfort Rd. On Sunday he's coming back home to Ottawa and approaches the steel bridge over the Gatineau River a couple of miles before hitting the 105. As he hits the little bump at the bridge his single axle separates from the trailer and boat, with wheels still attached !! Every leaf spring sheared at the U-bolts. Fulcrum point right? Friggin wild. So here he is with the trailer skidding across the bridge behind his truck and the axle and wheels catching up to him as the trailer and boat start to swing out to the side. Luckily the boat/trailer didn't flip and things came to a stop on the bridge with the axle and wheels back aways.

Here is where good Karma comes in, so to speak.
No vehicles were coming across the bridge at the same time
200 ft up the road is Lafontaine Marine. It's been there forever. You almost couldn't have picked a better spot for this to happen if it was meant to be.
Can you imagine the potential for disaster if this happened on the 105 or the 5, or the 417 in Ottawa??? I shudder to think about it.
Most of all, no one was hurt. Thank heavens I guess.

Has anyone of you ever heard of leaf springs breaking like that? It almost makes you think the trailer was undersized.
My bro is meticulous in his work so maintenance is not an issue. But then, who regularly checks for stress cracks on their trailer suspension? I doubt my bro did this year, but you can bet he will from now on.

The marina said they had never ever seen such a thing before.
It's not a write off they say. Transom damage and a bit of hull damage to the boat. Lower leg damage at the transom saver to the motor and the prop broke too somehow.

I guess small miracles do happen. In this case I'm a firm believer. Hallelujah

Please be careful guys. Let this be a good warning to all boaters. Check your suspension for cracks etc. Maybe this story can save someones life. Pass it on.

Cheers

Do you have any pics of the trailer. I would be interested to see what happened. It is hard to get a visual from your description only because every trailer manufacturer builds them differently. I have seen the complete wheel and hub assembly come off but never and entire axle.

Many moons ago I had the right side top leaf break right at the edge of the shorter one underneath, fortunately it was behind the axle so it was still connected to the trailer by the front shackle and bolt. No damage except to the tire, it was right under the fender and the fender bolts ate into the rubber but not enough to deflate the tire. I managed to get a piece of 2x4 on edge between the frame and axle to get enough clearance. That was a simple 2 leave spring, only a small 14 foot aluminum with a 7.5hp. Off to Princess Auto in Brandon, about $25 later and 2 new sets of springs and back to fishing. I guess I was a bit more lucky, but I do look for stress crackswhere the leaves sit one over the other.

Bren told me she bumped into ya Smitty. You kinda surprised her. lol.

Good no one was hurt but this is about the strangest trailer circumstance I've ever read. Hopefully insurance will pick up the costs.

Solid reminder for people to check their shiznit out regularly.

Ctered i can check if my bro took pics. I imagine he would have but he may have been far to upset to even think about it.

From what I gathered all the leaf springs sheared off close to the axle u bolts but I still haven't figured out how the axle and wheel assy. escaped from under the trailer. Must have been on the "up bounce" after the trailer wheels hit the bump.

I'll have another chat with my brother and see what else I can find out.

Cheers

Seen two boat trailers with broken leaf springs here this year alone.

First one was a large pontoon boat that had the top spring on the left side break and the axle swung backwards damaging the trailer and boat.

Second is Mr. Blizzard's boat trailer.

Both bottom leafs were broken.

The springs have since been replaced. ;)

Tks Drew. Yea I think I startled her more than anything lol. You've posted many pics of her so I was quite sure it was Brenda.

As for insurance he was paying close to a g note a year on the rig but the trailer was only insured for $750 so that will hurt the pocket book some.

The main thing is that nobody was hurt. It could have been a lot worse.

Cheers