Walleye, Lakers & Trophy Pike Of The Chapleau Game Preserve ~ A Fly In Trip To Park's Cam Lake Outpost

solopaddler

In Bill's defense, I'd call this a smile...maybe a grin....a smirk??? :D Have to agree, fishing is serious business. :good:

I don't know, it looks like he may have accidentally sat down on his leatherman (Haha)

Edited by chris.brock

• 1 month later...

My son corresponded with Mike when he was looking for a trip for us to take. He had never done a fly-in before so it was a great way to try it out. Thanks Mike for all the help. Turns out my son was doing this without my knowledge and booked this trip for us for my Birthday. What a nice surprise. We went to Abbey lake (just the 2 of us) and Mike was very helpful in providing tips to help make our trip more enjoyable and successful. Although the spots he suggested didn't produce, most likely because of the weather we quickly found some great spots and were on fish most of the time. The cabin is very nice, boat comfortable and the motors are fairly new. Most of the pickerel were 15-19" as we were led to believe but we did catch one 24" and a few around 21". We had a different fish recipe every night. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate as it was cloudy, rainy, windy and cold (with sleet on the Tuesday) all week. Except of course the day we arrived and the day we departed, lol. There's a great spot overlooking the lake where we put a couple of chairs and enjoyed a cocktail or cold beer every afternoon (weather be damned).

Almost all our fish were caught in 8-15 FOW and we were sometimes almost right on shore, fishing. We took in a portable graph which was very helpful. While driving around the lake we spotted some deep spots which ran from 60-80' and it seemed a natural for whitefish but there was no mention of them anywhere so we didn't try for any. Wouldn't you know it, the last day of fishing I caught a whitefish in 10 FOW dragging a worm across bottom. It fought like crazy and of course we thought it was a pike. It wasn't until we got it to the boat we saw what it was. A nice surprise!

I would recommend this lake to anyone interested in targeting pickerel (ok, walleye if you want) and pike. When you are in the right spot and the fish are on it is just one after another and frequent double headers.

A couple of things. We noticed only one boat had a front backrest. One boat didn't have one and the other boat had a broken one. You will want the backrest if you are fishing all day, hope it gets fixed or replaced. The choke on all the motors was either disabled or broken. I couldn't get the motor to start unless I pulled the cover and manually increases the throttle while pulling the rope. I eventually switched motors. Not a big deal if you know a little about motors but might be difficult for a novice. The generator, which the guys going out as we came in told us, had to be run on full choke the whole time. On Wednesday, it quit altogether. I thought they might have sent another one in when the plane was coming. The family coming in when we were going out bought a generator and brought it in. They were hoping to be reimbursed and I expect they would have been. That's my only complaint.

I'll post some pics and video when I get a chance.

Again, thanks Mike.