A ladder to get into the boat? Is there such a thing?

tb4me

Ok its probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway.. For all these that know me, you know I was considering buying a rough 1997 Smoker Craft Fazer 172.. Well I bought her 2 grand. The floors are in rough shape but I can fix it no problem. Spent a little over $500 to get the 70 Johnson VRO running in tip top shape..3 new coils 3 carb kits and a new fuel pump and prop. Did a lower end unit oil change and installed new NGK spark plugs, All set she runs like a top! I tossed some spare pieces of plywood over the soft spots until the fall, then the restoration will begin....Anyway I had the family out tubing yesterday on the Trent river we had a Blast! After struggling to get the wife and daughter back in the boat I thought it would be nice to have some sort of ladder on the one side of the transom. Is there such a thing for my boat? I did a quick search and all I could find was a swim platform but that doesn't interest me at all..id be afraid of the platform slowing down the boat. Then I got thinking what if I ever fell out when alone on the lake fishing, or wanted to go for a quick dip, id never get back up in the boat, so now this has become a priority. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks folks, Ron

There are 3 & 4 step telescopic ones you can buy that just hang there as needed. You store them inside the boat while under power. You can also make one out of PVC pipe for half the cost but it won't be as portable as the telescopic. The last place I remember seeing them was at West Marine. Hope this helps

Thanks Kenzy31 but I want something to get into the boat in case of emergency too IE falling out while fishing - trolling I always use my tether when alone I clip it to my shoe or belt , so I would like the ladder to be a permanent fixture that folds up out of the way perhaps?

There are 3 & 4 step telescopic ones you can buy that just hang there as needed. You store them inside the boat while under power. You can also make one out of PVC pipe for half the cost but it won't be as portable as the telescopic. The last place I remember seeing them was at West Marine. Hope this helps

We've got a telescopic that we toss over the side when my niece wants to go tubing/swimming. Works great and is cheap.

That doesn't help you much when you're alone and on the wet side of the boat after a mishap. I think tb4me is looking for something mounted.

On a side note as many are unaware, a "re-boarding device" is required on all vessels exceeding .5m freeboard (1'8")

I have a ladder that folds half way up on the back.I use a bungie cord to hold it in the half way position. Works great.I'll get a picture later,but doesn't look to expensive. But who knows for sure. You could reach up,remove the bungie cord in case of emergency. If it was not down already for swimming.

Dave has it right!

The great thing about using the motors cavitation plate is that it is that it is STRONG. The ladders that hang depend on the fasteners that hold it to the transom, and the fasteners that hold it together. Thin wall tubing is iffy, if you are over 180 lbs.

getting into the boat by yourself, with no one to help you, is tough, ladder or not, especially if you have just fallen in.

Hey Ron,this is a picture of mine.Pretty simple installation and does what it's suppose to do.

Don't mind the 2x4,that's my mount for the second fish finder. We usually jump up on the dolfin,and up the back if anyone feels so inclined lol. Similar to what Dave said.

001_zps43c9a7b4.jpg

Edited by davey buoy