Well my plans for fishing G/Bay fell through yesterday, so today I am taking matters into my own hands and heading up to Lakair for the morning. With any luck I'll have something to report other than the weather and boating conditions...lol

Maureen

Edited by motv8tr

What a great day yesterday was!!!

Headed out of here in the early hours and watch the sun rise as I went. Just as the sun was starting brighten things up I looked to my left and down the slope at a pond or high water area spotted a deer having her morning drink. Promising start to my day :)

I arrived at Lakair a little before 7am and was greeted heartily by Digger the camp dog…much to the dismay of those still sleeping I’m sure. I spotted some movement to my right and there was Rich up at at ‘em, went over to say good morning and was treated to a fresh cup of coffee from Patsy, just what I needed. We had a short visit before they headed into town to have their boat taken care of.

As they left, I took what was left of my coffee and headed down to the main dock to take a photo and revel in being there…ahhhh…I heard someone speaking, looked up and about two hundred feet away there was a Moose swimming across the channel…if I had a camera with a zoom I would have taken a shot, but as it was all I had was my phone so I just stood there and appreciated the site.

Coffee done, time to get the boat I arranged for and get out there. I headed first to an area I had managed to catch a Walleye a few years ago, but this was not to be the morning for Walleye. Moved the boat down a bit further, found a promising looking spot, settled in and on the third cast, Fish On!!, oh it felt good to have something other than weeds or pan fish on the line. :) I managed to get it near the boat and spotted it before it managed to go under the boat, not huge, but respectable…and then the line broke :wallbash: I pulled the line up, and realized I had forgotten to put a leader on :angry: …dang…ok, no problem, there’s fish here, retie, with a leader this time and get at it….

Nothing happened for a bit, then I felt a little tug, had a small fish on, thought perch? I got it to the boat, and it was a Pike that didn’t even qualify as a hammer handle…lol..still, it was a fish. Back it goes and I continue on…nothing much happened for a while after that. I hate leaving a place when I know there are fish around so I tried a few more presentations…nada…ok one last shot with my Red Devil (Daredevil), threw it out, and started reeling, when Fish On!!! :clapping: I love when they hit it hard. I took my time, reeled it in slowly, gave it some slack (was having problems with the drag), got it near the boat and another respectable fish, before I could grab the net…the line broke…ahhh… :wallbash:

Lesson learned…check gear thoroughly before heading out, and always bring a second set up…which I usually do…not sure why I didn’t this time…

I peeled out 30-40 ft of line and started over…by this time no more bites for that area, time to move on, next spot…nothing…off I go..

Got to another promising looking area and only had about an hour or less before I had to head back in. Was working the area for a bit, managed a couple of Perch, but decent sized ones, was thinking I’d play with them for a bit before I moved on. Not long after my second perch the bite died completely…huh…I was going to pull out, then thought, maybe some Pike moved in???

Tried a couple of presentations to no avail, went back to what worked for my first one, and as I neared the boat with the retrieval a big splash and twirl in the water…dang that startled me…threw the lure back right away,ready this time, and sure enough he hit it good :clapping: This time I was very careful to make sure the drag was set properly, had the net at the ready, and before too long it was in the boat :) Finally I managed to get a measurement of 22”, not huge, but not too shabby…I was happy with it .

I didn’t have a live well or cooler or anything to bring it back for lunch with, so back it went for next time.

Unfortunately I don’t have a photo bucket account and am on dial up so no pictures available here….

I didn’t get a chance to see Joey and Paul as they were still asleep when I arrived and out on their boat when I came back in.

I will go back again in July for a day and hopefully see them then…

Maureen

Sorry we missed you Maureen. We were up just a little after you arrived apparently, but since our boat is at the little docs and not the main docks, I guess that is how we missed seeing you.

Glad you at least caught some fish!!

Good to see you made it through the blasting zone and back home again safely - and to catch up with you for a little while. Something about weeds in the water pump wasn't making the motor very happy - go figure. Finally boated a ski this morning. Not much action today other than that - couple small pie. Seems to be a tough bite today. Well hit the west bay again this evening.