Shadow Lake Kawarthas/Haliburton (Norland) Advice

saspirilli

Hello to all,

Heading to Shadow Lake for the first time the weekend of June 15/16. Having a difficult time researching anything about the lake - maps, tips, etc.

There doesn't seem to be much chatter online about Shadow. If anyone has access to a map or to some general advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This is all I was able to find...

SHADOW LAKE

Depth: 22 metres at its deepest and averages 7.8 metres Species: Pickerel, Lake Trout, Muskie, Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass, Sunfish, Carp and Bullhead

Found this on another site...

"Sorry I missed this earlier. I had family on the lake and used to do quite well there when I was living in Lindsay. I found dusk and dawn topwater fishing to be great around any of the rocky islands that run the centre of the lake out from Island View Park. I would fish the deeper water surrounding the islands throughout the day and drag craws and pumpkinseed tubes in 10-15 fow. Any of the docks along the north side were also productive but summer weekends saw lots of swimming kids and jetskis. I fished largemouth in the grass north of the park in the bay on the east side. Dragging dark worms for largies always produced a few decent fish. I found them to be big but spooky because local kids fish there often with paddle boats and fish got skitish. I found that size was a little smaller in the southern part of the lake near the rapids into Silver Lake and in the Gull River inflow to the north but there were good numjbers of fish.

I would pick up the odd musky while fishing bass although we did pick up a few musky trolling the deeper water in the northern part of the lake but I havn't spend a great deal of time trolling musky. There are other lakes within 20 minutes of there that are much more productive for musky.

Also, be careful if you are heading down towards silver lake. There are lots of shallow rocks heading down that way. They all hold fish who seek cover among the lower units sitting on the lake bottom. Take it slow.

Good luck!"

Thanks Fish-Whisper. I found that piece - it's one of the only 2 - 3 posts anywhere on the web. There's surprisingly little out there, so I was hoping to drum up some new firsthand knowledge.

Appreciate you trying to assist my quest for knowledge!

chris.brock - you're awesome. I already have a board membership to the other board but didn't notice the links to the forums for the smaller lakes. Found a map there, which now gives me everything I was looking for. Thanks.

Shadow Lake is included with a group of other lakes near the bottom under the heading "Kawartha Gems"

http://www.kawarthaanglers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=49

Edited by big guy

• 4 months later...

I was recently on shadow lake last week fishing for the elusive musky. However to my surprise I hooked into 2 nice size pike. Now I've heard pike are makng there way into the kawarthas but pike if this size is pretty concerning for our future musky fishing. I've heard of people killing the pike but when they reach this size I feel it is just cruel. But at the same time musky are hard enough to catch as it is. Hopefully these 2 species can co-exists on shadow.

pike 1.jpg

Nice pike by the way !!!! And it's no suprise they have been there and are getting larger and taking over for sure !!!! We were there a few weeks ago and got 4 pike all the same size as yours !!! And no muskies to be caught or seen !!! There are large numbers of pike in the system now and it's not looking good for the muskies that's for sure !!!!and the pike have spread to most of the Trent Severn waterway now with pike showing up in balsam Cameron sturgeon and pigeon lakes as as pike Comming up from the south and are now in Peterbourough too !!!!! So no stopping them now .. Get used to them as they are here for good now !!!!! Tight-lines