Need tent recommendations

Fish4Eyes

Thanks, appreciate the very generous offer, see PM.

My tent was in stock where I work (Gagnon's) this spring so brought it home then. Yes the site has high prices but I assure you the retail will be much lower if we ordered you one. Pick out a model and send a PM, I'll look up our cost and will give you a estimate on price next week. We stock some tent's but have some of "so so" tents left from the tent sale, special order any time your ready, if Johnson ourdoors has it in stock it would take no less than 2 weeks.

MTBF

Yup that's the one I bought. There is a flap at the base of the tent that opens up about 6" from the ground. It's a great tent and nope we didn't wake up wet. A little stuffy but that's because my wife "insisted" that the windows be closed lol. I wasn't gonna argue on her first camping trip

Did you buy it this year by any chance? The grey and orange one they have on display (think its called Summer Dome)? If thats the one I was skeptical about it because it doesn't look like there is any ventilation as the fly goes to the ground? If that's the one, did you wake up damp from condensation?

Glad you had a good experience with it. Can't go wrong for the 160$ it costs, not to mention superb Costco customer service if you did have to return it. Did it rain at all during your trip? If so, did it leak?

Yup that's the one I bought. There is a flap at the base of the tent that opens up about 6" from the ground. It's a great tent and nope we didn't wake up wet. A little stuffy but that's because my wife "insisted" that the windows be closed lol. I wasn't gonna argue on her first camping trip

I'm not sure how much camping you are planning on doing, but if you intend to go frequently I would recommend to spend the extra $ on a 'higher end' tent such as a Eureka.. Some good tents have just mesh for the walls and rely on a good fly for the rain. Lot's of ventilation if that's your main concern.

And, BTW, the 'ground' sheet goes on the inside to keep your backs dry, not outside to protect the tent floor from abrasion as is too commonly done.

And, BTW, the 'ground' sheet goes on the inside to keep your backs dry, not outside to protect the tent floor from abrasion as is too commonly done.

Really Harold? Several of my tents ground sheets have grommets in the corner integrating them with the external pole system. My Marmot ground sheet has buckles that snap into the outside corners of the tent. All of these are made to be used under the tent, can't do it any other way.

As far as the choice of tent goes I'll repeat what others have said, you cannot go wrong with Eureka. Quality product at a reasonable price.

Far and away the best tent available, bar none.

>

LOL!

Speaking of "best tents" I've been looking at Oz-Tents for a while now: http://www.oztent.com/oztentrange

They're just so grossly expensive it's hard to justify, but man do they look sweet, and rave reviews too.

Edited by Mike Borger

Really Harold? Several of my tents ground sheets have grommets in the corner integrating them with the external pole system. My Marmot ground sheet has buckles that snap into the outside corners of the tent. All of these are made to be used under the tent, can't do it any other way.

I have a similar 1 that came with the tent. I leave that at home and take a plastic tarp to use inside. Slightly bigger than the tent floor allows you to tuck up the ends to make a 'bathtub'.(In reverse, since it is used to keep water out. Even if it's not bigger you can tuck up the upslope end.

check out the coleman weathermaster tent,good dry tent sleeps 8 and has a hinged door which works great. It will run you about 350 at Canadian Tire when not on sale. here is a link to it with some customer feedback.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRDOVR~0765086P/Coleman+Weather+Master+Tent%2C+10-Person.jsp?locale=en

I have the eureka el capitan-for car camping and such--it is the closest thing I could get that was high end that was still tough for kids to destroy and rugged--

I have a ton of miles backcountry camping with MSR tents--winter and summer-- --bombproof and lightweight however if you add a kid or dog into the mix forget about it-too sensitive-eureka tents are extremely heavy duty--anyone that is a lightweight backpacker wont even look at their tents however for car camping they are much lighter than the cheapies from walmart -and they are also waaaay more waterproof end "element" resistant,.eureka is considered the best of the rest for--as well as big agnes--they have a few tents out now that are overpriced however great tents--lebaron carries them as well.

please don't get sucked into the walmart or Canadian tire tents--they will cost you in the long run--cheap zippers --heavy steel or outdated graphite poles--tarp floors which are indestructible but are like packing a polar bear into a stuff sack...eureka is the way to go--elcapitan I have had now for 4 years and as I said I bought it only for car camping as I didn't want to spend 500 plus on a tent for the family but I still wanted warranty, water repellency and durability without the weight of a circus tent--I don't mean to sound arrogant however I have a lot of experience in camping in general PM if you wish.

if the fly doesn't no go to the ground forget the tent no matter what anyone says--rain hits the tent wall at an angle(to save eweight no tent walls are treated unless its a single wall expedition tent) so you will get wet..sooner or later depending on the tightness of the nylon weave--the fly needs to hit the ground and close to---I was just reading posts--and ssing coleman tents with fly that covers the roof only --rain rarely falls straight--in a storm...don't cheap out man getting wet sucks with kids especially---if you want to go high end I strongly reccoment the MSR mutha hubba--awesome light and bombproof --pricey and not made for kids though

• 2 months later...

As a side note to the tent talk earlier this summer my Northern Canyon 6 (10x10) has held up quite nice. On 2, 8 night trips the tent saw a total of just 4 days rain. (2 on either trip)

The tent was stock on the first trip so did not spray it. This Eureka beads water like I have never seen growing up using various CDN Tire brand tents. I bought some Nik Wax waterproofing spray for nylon tents, rain gear etc...it's like a windex bottle and worked really good. One thing I noticed was the 4 main poles on my tent are Aluminum with a cable rather than Fibreglass poles with rope. I really believe this makes the tent solid, in wind gusts it hardly moved. The "fly" uses traditional Fibreglass/rope poles as I assume to keep the weight down on the top of the tent.

Anyway 5/5 on my first 15 days sleeping in it. No leaks even near the zipper corner. The high ceiling is a +

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I have a 10 yr old Columbia Lost Lake from CTC that I use for canoe trips. It was cheap and has performed well but is breaking down. To ensure I stay dry I also use a tarp as a ground sheet inside. If rain in forecast I also use a tarp over the top of the tent as well.

I do the samething Knuguy does with the ground sheet...I picked up that tip from Kevin Callan the author the Happy Camper and can say it works successfully.

Sure fire method of staying dry if your floor leaks ... and they all do eventually just like waders. Use a light weight tarp. MEC has a few. Use it outside during the day. I still use the ground sheet, which is a little smaller the the tent, in some places to protect the bottom from puncture.