Tips on What to Look for when buying down riggers

cja

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, I am going to check out a couple of used sets of Canon 10A and the mini version riggers. Was wondering if there is anything i should be looking for beside seeing if the cable unspools out and in.

Thanks

Fish farmer summed it up pretty well. I would add automatic stop when the cannon ball hits the water line. You don't have to worry about stopping the cannon ball on the way up. Really nice feature when it is hectic. Also the length of the booms and if they are adjustable or not. If you have a small boat you don't need really long arms to get the ball away from the boat.

Speed is a big one to me. I like being able to bring it up quick to reset. A lot of times if that rigger goes off, I leave the ball down in the water as we fight the fish - so I don't forget the depth it was set at. I tend to forget the depth in the heat of a battle with a nice king. A fast rigger will have the ball up in a few seconds ready to reset.

Just my thoughts

I've got a set of Scotty 1106's on the boat and couldn't be happier with them. Updated them with the dual rod holders from the 1116's and you've got a slick setup. Should be able to find a used set, check out Spoonpullers or LOU.

I don't even know where to start, really. They came with my boat (along with a couple 9' rods, balls, etc..). The lakes I fish for trout are usually small lakes that don't require downriggers, leadcore/steel line is all that is needed. I've wanted to try Salmon fishing in Lake Ontario but I have no idea whether those rods could handle it and my boat isn't exactly a big water boat. On top of that, I wouldn't even know where to go, what depths/areas to fish. I'm completely out of my element when it comes to that.

I don't even know where to start, really. They came with my boat (along with a couple 9' rods, balls, etc..). The lakes I fish for trout are usually small lakes that don't require downriggers, leadcore/steel line is all that is needed. I've wanted to try Salmon fishing in Lake Ontario but I have no idea whether those rods could handle it and my boat isn't exactly a big water boat. On top of that, I wouldn't even know where to go, what depths/areas to fish. I'm completely out of my element when it comes to that.

bite the bullet and pay to go out with a charter, pay attention and you will learn lots, it will help fast track the learning curve

I have the new Cannon Mag 10's and love them. The digital was considered but the extra price was too excessive imo.

The brake at water line is awesome and the speed is amazing. They are a treat to use and at $500 it was well within my budget.

I find them a little lees bulky than the scotties

Or you could invite someone who knows what they're doing out on your boat to show you the ropes. Its not hard. Where u located?

S

Belleville. Wouldn't think the experienced guys would wanna leave their nice boats/set ups to show a rookie how it's done lol.

Sorry, didn't mean to get the thread off topic.

Edited by Dontcryformejanhrdina

Thanks lads for the advise but the title of the original post should have had the word USED in it. Don't know how to edit a title.

I was looking more for what to look at when buying used ones. Such as a clutch or brakes etc

Edited by cja