A historical May long weekend for me...

danc

For the first time in probably 40 years, I'm not going fishing this May long weekend. It's not because I'm not ready, willing and able. It's because my lake of choice is still frozen solid. The ice might come off any day now, and I'd normally take that chance, but the forecast calls for 80%+ chance of rain all weekend too. No thanks. I booked the following Monday off and will take my long weekend a week late this year. The Brook Trout will be hungry and I know where they live. Can't wait!!

you aren't alone Dan, i'm heading to vermilion bay next weekend, after the tourists have had the first crack at getting skunked down there.

and oh yes, Howey Bay and most of red lake is still solid from shore to shore.

and oh yes, Howey Bay and most of red lake is still solid from shore to shore.

I pretty much figured so grt1. I'll be in Red Lake in a few weeks so I'm hoping things will be thawed out by then. I mean it has to be, right? :dunno:

Been looking at the Coastwatch satellite images of your area and the amount of ice still there is amazing for this time of year. Hope it's gone for you by next weekend.

My trip out of Nakina on the 25th is still very iffy too

I've been checking it often too Mike. It's been cloudy the past few days so I can't see if there's been any improvement lately. In fact, it's been pouring rain for the past 18 hours or so with no end in sight. We are under a flood alert here almost exactly a year to the day of last years flood that brought millions of dollars in destruction and national attention.

Hope your Nakina trip works out for you Mike.