Outboard spacer.... Anybody use one?

Hello...

So I've seen outboard spacers online but with very little info on them... I'm not talking about jack plates... It's pretty much just a 4" spacer so your motor sits further back....

I'm very interested in taking this route but was wondering if anyone has done this to their boat.... The tiller arm on my Yamaha is a lot longe then the old Honda... So the tiller arm pretty well hits my seat.... I do not want to move my seat and lose boat space... So for me the spacer sounds like the best route...

So please if anyone has installed a spacer on a motor other then a kicker... Let me know what you think and how it worked...

I have a 50hp Yamaha tiller....

Thanks

Wouldn't having all that weight hanging an extra 4 inches off the boat upset the balance quite a bit?

I dunno...

I thought it would improve performance... Like adding 4" length to the boat... Faster plane...

That's why I'm asking... I'm hoping someone has used one....

how big is your boat? a spacer on an aluminum boat could 1) mess up the balance 2) increase the amount of backwash 3) add stress to the transom.

The purpose of a spacer is to allow your prop to run in cleaner water (less air & turbulence caused by the hull) but I highly doubt it would give you much performance enhancement unless you could adjust the motor height.

If you're willing to sacrifice a few MPH for holeshot, you're better off changing the prop to a lower pitch.

In terms of getting the boat on plane, if you have a bow mount trolling motor, move the trolling battery and other stuff like anchor to the bow, it would help getting your boat on plane.

how big is your boat? a spacer on an aluminum boat could 1) mess up the balance 2) increase the amount of backwash 3) add stress to the transom.

The purpose of a spacer is to allow your prop to run in cleaner water (less air & turbulence caused by the hull) but I highly doubt it would give you much performance enhancement unless you could adjust the motor height.

If you're willing to sacrifice a few MPH for holeshot, you're better off changing the prop to a lower pitch.

In terms of getting the boat on plane, if you have a bow mount trolling motor, move the trolling battery and other stuff like anchor to the bow, it would help getting your boat on plane.

The primary reason is to prevent the long tiller on my new Yamaha from hitting me seat/leg.... I'm getting by... But 3-4" would help.... And I don't want to move my seat ahead any more....

I'm sure it is very doable. Just keep in mind that pushing the weight of the engine back causes a large moment arm on the transom. (Higher torque)

I only have experience with raising my tiller motor to help with hole shot.

The plate u linked looks like it will help distribute the extra load evenly across a larger surface. Which will help the life of your transom.

it would carry the bow better and improve the porpoise by changing the fulcrum point but if you boat is still under warranty it would void it, doesnt mean it cant handle the torque but tin boat manufactures all have the same verbage about voiding warranty.

Seriously, I'd move my seat. How much space would you be losing? 4" is not even enough for your knees!

The way I was looking at it was if I can avoid drilling any extra holes in my floor.... And not sacrifice space... That would be my best route... That's just my thought process...

My boat performs awesome... I'm fully satisfied with current performance...

The way I was looking at it was if I can avoid drilling any extra holes in my floor.... And not sacrifice space... That would be my best route... That's just my thought process...

Have you considered getting some kind of offset pedestal or bracket made that will give you the few inches that you need? Just a thought...

Probably would be a cheaper option.

I don't know what make of boat you have but Lund does not recommend any jack plates/spacers on their transom and will not cover transom damage under warranty, I am sure some other aluminum boat makers have the same policy.

Lots of these things around. They give you 5" and are made for every conceivable pin connection.

Marine seating falls into two classifications for good reason. http://www.springfieldgrp.com/customer-support/standards

What you should consider is a slider

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/products-2/boat-slides-swivels/camlock-2