Cold Front Pond Pike

Rich

Missed pike opener due to work, so my opener was yesterday.

Loaded up the inflatable and thanked heavens for my LPRCA season pass I bought last week, and headed out in some miserable conditions to try for pike on a pond I have never put the time into getting the boat into. The inflatable made this trek a breeze.

Started off with my fav black/orange spinnerbait while Brandon through a bucktail. 8 casts in a 40" class fish hits my spinnerbait, hookset, dangit! My reel is still in winter storage mode, drag loose as hell. Lost the fish.

Moving in behind a little island a hammer handle rolls on my bait twice, and before I could spit out that I raised one I look up to see Brandon set hook into a little fish with a big attitude. Barbless hooks saved the day on this one, inhaled the 8" osprey tail, but little effort and it popped out, no blood.

IMAG0483_zpsdb5bf0ad.jpg

From there on out, the pike got finicky. We were having ridiculous numbers of short strikes as the wind picked up and the hail came out. After losing a dozen more fish between us, we were losing hope, and determination, quickly. It seemed the final nail in the casket was when Brandon got called in to work. I had an hour left to land anything but OOS bass. Coming round the bend to take the boat out, the sun cleared things up for 20 minutes. I could see that right near our launch, there was a very shallow gravel shoal with about an 8' deep pit in behind it. No sooner than I said "there HAS to be a pike in there" and tossed my white spinnerbait in (changed up long ago), and sure enough I had my fish just in the nick of time. It was no beast, but I am certainly not complaining about that fish.

IMAG0484_20130513152809665_zps65962f69.j

Overall, considering it was freezing cold, brutally windy, raining, snowing and at times - pea size hailing on us, I expected a skunk. The day was above all expectations, and one heck of a way to kick off pike season.

Thanks everyone, did almost the same rigamaroll today. Except two differences, it was warm as heck , and the fish weren't biting. After 4 hrs, sun started to set, got a little guy. Good enough, plenty more days of pike fishing to come.