Boat insurance.....NF

Terry

so who has inexpensive insurance on boats costing over $30,000.00

I am looking for complete coverage

what company should I check out and how much should I expect to pay

I never bother with it but think I should get in on the new boat

georgian bay has b lots of hazards now

thank

Yacht Works via Royal Sun Alliance... through your broker that looks after you house/truck what ever, but you don't want it ON your house policy.. especially YOU! lol

Agreed replacement value on the boat if it's stolen. Agreed value on trailer for same..... agreed value on a kicker (hull only covers the main motor) and liability insurance.

I suspect you'll pay about $600 a year. I pay $860 + tax on mine.

I am with April Marine, formerly Marine Experts. I pay $414 for complete coverage for a boat over 30000. I only checked with Northstar and Statefarm and a few other small brokers (cant remember any names) and found they were priced the best. May look around this year to see what others are offering.

**$448. Forgot that my premium went up last year.

Edited by danbob

Statefarm quoted me almost double.

yeah, if they didn't just pay a lot to repair after the fire, I would drop them completely, but they were so easy to deal with I will stick with them for home insurance ...for now

Nice, you'll like the impact. Enjoying the boat.

Heres a few listed from bfb, a recent thread:

Premier, Nauti Max, Mitchell and Abbott. Some others for you to look at.

Edited by danbob

some things to keep in mind.

- make sure there is no lay up period. many of the main auto insurers will have a lay up period in place for your policy.

- make sure there are no boundary restrictions. again many of the main auto insurers will put boundary restrictions in place for your policy.

i recently switched from Intact as they had both of those clauses in my policy. Joey you may want to check that out if either of those are an issue. my boundary restrictions on my old policy were for southern ontario and great lakes. if i wanted to add northern ontario it was an additional cost. there was a lay up period between Nov 15 and mar 30. after speaking with many people at both my broker and the carrier i was informed this was Intacts policy on boat insurance. a majority of the other main insurance carriers also had a lay up period.

i found that Optimum Insurance Company offered me the best price with no lay up period or boundary restrictions.

good luck with finding something for your new boat.

One HUGELY overlooked aspect of boat insurance in my humble opinion: get a quote on uninsured/underinsured boaters' coverage for you, in the event someone with little or no liability insurance collides with and injures you. Way too many tales of collisions on the water with irresponsible boaters/jPWC operators. And many never end well. I have 300K on my craft through Boat U.S. and it is really cheap coverage. I ain't much but I value my health more than my Lady Lund (just don't tell her that, though :whistling: ). Something to think about anyway...