Tips to hook my first Gar in Ontario

I can see the Gar pike swim by on Erie from my deck. They should be showing up shortly and will be here until late June. They are a very slow moving fish until a male Smallmouth feels they are too close to a bed then they move like rockets. I have tried everything but can't get a strike. Only once I had one take a silver and black floating Rappala, it took it very gently side ways after staring at it forever and held on for a few seconds and just let go (this was done sight fishing). They are the one of the most colourful fish we have here. The first one I saw was here snorkeling. They are beautiful, shine like glass, almost see through translucent, have all the colours of the rainbow and can get well over 35" here.

In Florida I caught a few with balls of yarn wrapped around the shank of a large baitholder hook with the hook cut off, strange I know. At first I thought the locals were having some red neck fun with me. The yarn would get tangled in the fishes teeth and got lassoed. I've tried this here as well, no luck.

That fish is on my Ontario bucket list. I have only have a few left other than the list of suckers that I don't care to get. I would love to get one. Being able to see your target should make it easy, what it is can only be described as frustrating. I've tried everything but a CIL wabbler.

Any suggestions folks?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Anything that floats or suspends will work fine. My favorites are the Original Floaters and the Skitter Walk (with the bottom hook of each treble removed, works pretty well actually). They are tough to hook, however they are aggressive and usually numerous so you will catch one eventually. I've never gotten more than 4 in a couple hours.

Interesting post, i've been thinking about trying for gar too. Put up a few pics if you're successful.

I'd like to hook into one of those with my fly road this year.

Edited by timmeh

I use a small treble hook with one of the hooks cut off at the shank. Sharpen the heck out of the hooks they have to be lazer sharp. Cut a strip of belly white from a fish. leave 1 inch of meat on it and 3-5 inches of just the skin so it flutters. Put a little weight 12 inches in front of the hook so you can cast past the fish and reel it back across there noses. when they strike it is quick and you got to stick them with the hook. The mouth very hard and bony but can be stuck. The use of yarn and cotton rope can be used tied to a jighead without a hook. If you do use the rope be very careful to remove all of the bits from the fishes mouth or it will starve. Good luck

Art