Spooled line Backwards

It's not simple physics Dan, there is no twist when you spool it on that way. It's coming straight off the spool, think about it.

Sure. Straight off the spool and twisting as your bail rotates. Think about it. Simple physics. Try the garden hose experiment that I suggested and let me know how that works out for you.

I didn't realize it was such a task to fill a reel with line. I've done it both ways with no issues, but usually lay the spool flat on the floor and wind it on.

S.

Sorry to go to this extreme Sinker, but someone wanted to know how to correctly respool a spinning reel without line twist. I'm just letting him know how to do it correctly.

I have a berkley spooling station and it has 2 positions for spoolng. one for baitcaster, where the line comes off the side of the spool, and one for spinning reels, where the line comes of the face of the spool, DanC explained it beautifully, and that the way i have been doing it for years, with zero problems. :D

Sure. Straight off the spool and twisting as your bail rotates. Think about it. Simple physics. Try the garden hose experiment that I suggested and let me know how that works out for you.

Thanks for explaining I guess I've been doing it all wrong for 45 years.

Just saw your post Mercman, you beat me to it. Maybe I'm doing IT wrong too :blush:;):dunno:

What about using the Berkley line spooling station. With Spinning reels the spool faces towards you in line with the reel. When spooling a casting reel the reel faces the side and you pull from underneath with tension on the spool.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/tools-and-equipment/classics/spooling-station-portable

I bought one many years ago at a garage sale and never had a problem since.

Edited by Nipfisher

I find this to be totally nitpicky topic, and really who cares?? But still it's an interesting conversation. :)

If one takes the spinning reel out of the equation and simply looks at line coming off the filler spool, if one was to pull it straight off the spool with a pencil through the middle is that line not perfectly straight with no twists? (yes of course it is!)

Spinning reel out of the equation again, simply pulling the line off a filler spool laying flat the line is also twist free (although you may have more memory involved pulling it off that way).

Mono is round, it's not flat. No one can deny that pulling the line off a filler spool in either manner it comes off straight and true with no twist. That is undeniable.

Now what happens after that point when it's pulled off the spool straight and twist free and spool it onto your spinning reel is out of your hands.

I can only assume that line manufacturers have always insisted on laying the spool flat with the line spooled on your reel in the same direction it's going on your reel because if you turn the spool the wrong way and reel it on that's the only scenario where you are going to get twist!!

That's the way most people spool their line so it behooves them to explain how to do it properly when laying flat.

I spool up by laying the spool flat on the ground and making sure the line is coming off correctly, or by using the pencil method...both methods work equally well for me

most mid/high end reels have roller bearings in the line roller, keeping that clean and lightly lubed at the start of each season will help with the line twist situation

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.download.-mainParsys-000105-downloadFile.html/QFI%20Bail%20and%20Line%20Roller.pdf

steve in lambeth has a good setup for spooling, if anybody is familar, other shops have them too...zero line twist

Just for fun, and also to ensure my own sanity, I did a little experiment at work today. I strung out about 20 feet of half inch rope, making sure that there were zero twists in it. I tied one end to a 6 inch round shaft, told my partner to hold the other end and not let it roll in his hand (as would be the case with the pencil method) as I proceeded to simulate a spinning reel bail and wrap it around the shaft with a gloved hand. With about 5 feet of rope left to go of the 20 feet, it was twisted up like a pretzel. What I learned from all of this is today that my sanity is just fine. And that was a big relief to me.

When you lay the spool flat on the floor, how do you keep tension on the line?

I use the pencil method. I hold the spool between my feet and create tension by pressing the spool again the carpet. Never had a problem in 40 years.

I just use my thumb and finger about a foot above the reel for tension. The line just falls off of the spool, but because there is almost zero twisting, except for the fact that the line and reel spools are most likely different diameters, there's no problems with the line free falling off of the line spool.

Just for fun, and also to ensure my own sanity, I did a little experiment at work today. I strung out about 20 feet of half inch rope, making sure that there were zero twists in it. I tied one end to a 6 inch round shaft, told my partner to hold the other end and not let it roll in his hand (as would be the case with the pencil method) as I proceeded to simulate a spinning reel bail and wrap it around the shaft with a gloved hand. With about 5 feet of rope left to go of the 20 feet, it was twisted up like a pretzel. What I learned from all of this is that my sanity is just fine. And that was a big relief to me.

Not comparable at all, try it on a spinning reel.

Wow. I thought that this would have sealed the deal for sure. But apparently not. I have tried it on a spinning reel once or twice. Maybe even 3 times. The only thing that I could have done differently to duplicate the scenario exactly would have been to wind the 20 feet of rope onto some kind of spool and have a rod of some sort through the spool. But the results would have been the same. By either holding the rope and not let it counter effect the need for twisting or putting a pencil through the spool, there is no way to counter effect the fact that the bail is twisting the line with each revolution. You'd have to flip your pencil held spool once for each turn of your bail to counter act any twisting. Or use the easier way of laying the spool on the floor and have it come off of the spool the same way that your bail is turning. That's not an opinion. That's a fact.

Anyways, I'm done with this thread. The OP wanted to know how to respool without line twist. I told him. He can use your method, which involves less line twist than spooling completely backwards, or he can use mine which involves the closest thing to zero line twist that any normal person could hope to achieve. That's up to him.

Dan has explained this quite clearly. I'm not sure what there is to not understand.

The best way to avoid line twist is to use a quality inline swivel on your line.

Spool it whatever way you want!!

S.

Dan has explained this quite clearly. I'm not sure what there is to not understand.

The best way to avoid line twist is to use a quality inline swivel on your line.

Spool it whatever way you want!!

S.

I believe that some people feel a need to drive home a point and others don't like to admit that their way might not be the best way.

I know what works for me. Some might think its the best way. Others might feel the need to try and convince me otherwise. It can be done wrong. So its a matter of how wrong is acceptable to you.

Just sayin...

I believe that some people feel a need to drive home a point and others don't like to admit that their way might not be the best way.

I know what works for me. Some might think its the best way. Others might feel the need to try and convince me otherwise. It can be done wrong. So its a matter of how wrong is acceptable to you.

Just sayin...

The reason I find this thread so interesting is because of Dan's insistence that there's only one way to put line on a spinning reel correctly. There are two correct ways at least imo.

The reason I find this thread so interesting is because of Dan's insistence that there's only one way to put line on a spinning reel correctly. There are two correct ways at least imo.

Two correct ways. Therefore one of which is more correct than the other. I wouldn't lose sleep over it though. Plenty of other more important fishing related things to concentrate on.

Therefore one of which is more correct than the other.

That's what I have an issue with.

Not losing any sleep over it either.

However, if it allows anyone to sleep better at night I'll happily concede the fact that I'm a know nothing rube who's been spooling his mono all wrong and fishing with twisted line for over 40 years LOL!