Higher water levels this year?

Rod Caster

The soils were saturated last fall, we had a normal snowfall, a normal melt and lots of spring precipitation.... do you think we'll see higher (probably normal) water levels this year? The great lakes have a loooong way to go of course ....

Many of the smaller lakes just north of North Bay were 2-3 feet below any visible high-water marks. I'd like to think that this year we'll have normal water levels and very good spawning rates as a result!

Not from what I seen today. The rivers,creeks and those that are even ditches,were blasting mad waters. Still,I seen docks that had walk ways down to them. 6ft plus. I knew I should of taken a picture of them in Meaford. SAD SAD SAD.

They had on the news here on Monday I believe that the water level of Lake Erie off the Vermillion river here in Ohio was down 18 inches from the same time last year.

If that is the same for areas like the G/B and French river it could be a problem? You folks have a lot more rock than we do.

while water levels around here are up compared to the fall, for this time of year we are still at least a foot lower than what I remember as "average" spring levels. As for the great lakes, we may need 40 days and 40 nights of the wet stuff still to get Huron back to where she used to be when Ipperwash was my summer hang out in the early '80s.

Current computer models from us army corps of engineers predict lake levels to rise 16 inches by July in Huron. July is usually peak height for Huron.. That is 2 inches lower then last July this takes into account normal spring precipitation rates. If we get more precipitation this spring they will go up likewise with less precipitation models will predict lower levels. Lets cross our fingers for more of the wet stuff! It will take at least a few more years of solid snow and spring rains combined with normal summers to get the lake levels of Huron back to average

Edited by cjgraham

I always heard the amount of snow rec'd through the winter on the north end of Superior,dictated water levels through out the great lakes?.This year/past winter,they have rec'd more than in recent years. The trickle down effect will take almost to the summer I've heard.

Thanks for the info CJ.... I guess it'll take more than three wet seasons to positively affect lake Huron... we are lucky it wasn't a dry past 6 months!

What has Quebec been doing to our resource, Moxie?

They're always up to no good. They can put a few logs in the dam for starters. Besides, If they can whine about anything and everything why can't I?