Need some advice (boat performance related)

Tayzak15

your options are a) buy a boat to suit the 20 or B) buy the larger boat then upgrade the motor later or c) wait for the boat you paid for and see if they'll cut a break on delivery or throw something in since it's late

if it were me in your shoes, I'd buy a 14 which should be fine for 2 people. I've found 14's with 20 on the back run nice. wouldn't wanna run big water in that though

Edited by woodenboater

I would not want to be out on the great lakes in that rig if I had to make a run to shore but I would say on smaller puddles it may be ok but just barely. You will want either less boat or more motor after a season.

Well il never be on the great lakes with it, Im up in northern ontario so most lakes im on around around 1000-2000 hectares with the biggest one I go on being roughly 5000 hectares, but even on that lake my uncle has a 17 footer with a 90 so I would rarely have to take mine out on it. I'm on rivers a lot too as well.

your options are a) buy a boat to suit the 20 or B) buy the larger boat then upgrade the motor later or c) wait for the boat you paid for and see if they'll cut a break on delivery or throw something in since it's late

I was going to try and get a deal on an upgrading model since they were late.

I didnt realize you switched boats.. the boat rated for a 25 will be just fine with a 20. the boat rated for a 40 may struggle with the 20.

Yeah the 16 foot console steering model was rated for a 40 hp, the 14 ft tiller is rated for 25 which is odd considering they are only about a 50 lb difference.

I ran a Lund16 Aluminum for several years with a 25 HP Johnson. Great set up and I could get 22 MPH with me, a gas tank and some fishing gear. It was a basic three bench seat nothing fancy. As soon as I got fancy and put a front and back casting platform in, livewell, bow mount and transom trolling motors and 3 batteries did I realize I should have bought a 40.

If it'll be a basic open aluminum it'll be fine.

Just make sure you are getting the right size teansom... long shaft versus short shaft. Don't fet stf with a boat and motor that don't match.

yeah the motor I bought is a longshaft, now to call them tommorow and see if they happen to even have one of these in stock haha

So you think it would be alright then? Im estimating between everything including motor,gear,myself and my buddy we would be running around 1100 lbs

You really won't be happy, and it's false economy. I used to run a 16 foot tinner, with snap in floors and nothing else. No rod lockers, no hatches no casting decks. Just a troller up front, 2 downriggers and a couple of batteries. The boat was powered by a 30hp 2 stroke. It was great with just me, but if I had 2 passengers and a load of gear, I had to slap a different prop on in order to get up on step quickly and of course i lost top end this way. That same 30hp 2 stroke was on a 14 foot boat previously, and that boat had floors, rod lockers and hatches as well as a raised casting deck. The boats ran roughly the same speed, as all the extra wood in the 14 weighed it down. The 30hp 2 stroke did all I needed for the most part, on a pretty plain Jane 16 foot tin boat with a floor installed, but a 20 would have been barely getting by. You put that same 20 on a heavy 16 foot boat with floors and rod lockers/decks etc. and it will be a total dog. Wait on your tin boat, or get dealer to deliver, or have him find you another utility that suits and is available now. You will lose money trying to sell bits and parts later, and be less than happy with the performance in the meanwhile. Just my opinion.

The boat he is looking @ now has a maximum HP rating of 25 hp.

It should be fine with his 20hp.

But if he starts adding casting decks, lots of batteries etc performance will suffer of course.

I actually have decided to go with the lund fury 1400. It is rated for 30 hp however it is lighter and not quite as wide as the alumacraft so I'm guessing performance with the 20 would have been about the same between the 2 It already has a casting deck and stuff installed into it, and I would just end up having 1 battery to run the bilge,lights,fishfinder. If I feel like it needs more power I can look into that next summer, but this boat is a huge upgrade from my 1970's leaky 12 foot car topper with a older 15hp evinrude haha.

if you're not concerned about top end performance, then get the boat you want knowing you'll be underpowered (less or more depends on which hull you decide on). If it proves to be lacking too much for you, sell the o/b next summer and upgrade, your 2011 4stroke will hold good enough resale value. But it is always cheaper to do it right the first time around.

it sounds like all you want to do is get on plane and cruise, not win any races

you can play around with hydrofoils, smart tabs, prop pitches before you flip the o/b too

if you're not concerned about top end performance, then get the boat you want knowing you'll be underpowered (less or more depends on which hull you decide on). If it proves to be lacking too much for you, sell the o/b next summer and upgrade, your 2011 4stroke will hold good enough resale value. But it is always cheaper to do it right the first time around.

it sounds like all you want to do is get on plane and cruise, not win any races

you can play around with hydrofoils, smart tabs, prop pitches before you flip the o/b too

Yeah that's exactly it, as long as I can plane and cruise I'm fine with it. Im not looking to beat anyone to any fishing holes. Besides a lot of the Northern Ontario Lakes I fish are loaded with unmarked rocks and shoals so I'm rarely running top speed to begin with because we always need to keep our eyes open. I ended up calling the dealership today and buying the Lund Fury 1400.

Same with me chris, mine is rated for a 40, I run a 30hp triple yammy. Its up on plane in short order.So much so i am going to be teting a higher pitched prop for when I am loaded light.

As for the 20, it will no doubt push the boat. If its real bad like I said just get a lower pitched prop and upgrade the motor when you can. I would get the boat you want and then plan on upgrading the motor later. The only other good option is to buy a boat more suited to the 20hp like a 14 foot utility. Then sell the package later.

That is your best choice I believe.Fish from it this season,and see what you can do next year. After using the 20hp for a season,heck,you might think it does well for what you want to do.JMO.

Well I officially caved in this afternoon and went with the lund fury 1400 haha, it came with 2 pedestal seats so my next question is. Are those pedestals universal? I don't feel like paying for another lund seat and I have plenty of seats at home I was wondering if I could just buy a pedastal from BPS and it would work for the boat. Just to be prepared for the 2-3 time I will actually have 3 people in the boat LOL.

There are a bunch of different types of pedastals.

More than likely you will be able to get what you need through Bass Pro or Cabelas.

When you get your boat just compare what it comes with and the ones on the stores websites.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/boating-boat-seats-pedestals-bases/_/N-1100617/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104492880?WTz_l=DirectLoad%3Bcat104794380%3Bcat104705280

http://www.basspro.com/Boating-Marine-Accessories-Boat-Seats-Boat-Seats-Furniture/Type-Seat-Mounts-Pedestals/_/N-1z0ux8qZ1z0v4mx

Some are screw in, some are keyhole and some are just pressure fit. Wait til you get your boat and make sure you get the right ones.

Yeah for sure, I'm in no rush at all, water probably won't even be open up around Timmins for another few weeks anyways haha.

If you plan on fishing more then 2 people you'll need the 16' for space... Not performance...

If you fish solo... Or 2 in the boat... 3 people a few times a year...I'd get the deepest widest 14 footer you can... Without decks...

I had a 25 Suzuki on my 16' Lund explorer when I bought it used... It was great alone... Got 25 mph... And my boat has decks and live well and everything... But 2 people it was sluggish... And dropped to 20mph... 3 people was a no go....