Unions - NF

Rich

I tend to agree with randy. The union is great for the slackers, and whiners, but the guys who do all the work, make the least money.

I've worked for 2 unions, and will never, ever do it again.

S.

I don't how it is in the unions you've belonged to...but in mine, the guys who work the least OT make the least money. It has nothing to do with how much work someone thinks they did.

I have noticed that those who are eager to label others as slackers and whiners are often the biggest slackers and whiners around though. Guys who openly profess to "do all the work" are usually too busy bragging about how great they are to do any actual work.

Are people responsible for providing health care normally scheduled to work 60 hour weeks every week? That's surprising...and a little scary. To me, at first glance, it kind of makes sense to hire more people and have them work something closer the normally accepted 40 hour week. Admittedly, I really don't know anything about what you do...but I know how I feel after working just two or three 60 hour weeks in a row. Eventually my work (let alone life) begins to suffer. I don't blame your employer for wanting to move in that direction or your union for not preventing it.

Are there really no non-unionized jobs available in your field?...or are there no non-unionized jobs available in your field that you want? Just like you could get a job as a parts-man but don't want it...there are other options available to you, they're just not very attractive. You seem to want all the benefits that go with having a union job...without the union. Those gigs are tough to find, Brother.

There are a lot more non-unionized jobs than unionized ones...plus there's the option of self-employment. The only reason one would have a unionized job is because they choose to have one...probably because they realize it's better than having a non-unionized one.

You dont know any of us. We dont all live in toronto. A job is a job. Sometimes the unionized job comes off more flashy than a real job, sure. You pay for those bells & whistles too.

The only reason one would have a unionized job is because they choose to have one...probably because they realize it's better than having a non-unionized one.

Wait til (never wish this upon anyone) lose their unionized job. Then they have to work for a non. Oh brother,their in for an awakening.

Then again,a nonunion company,like where I work,pay well,even for being in the automotive class.You would be surprised to learn,how many companies,will not deal with unionized companies. They cant afford delays due to employee/company disaggrements, that could cause the supplied company,stoppage in work or supplying their customers..

You dont know any of us. We dont all live in toronto. A job is a job. Sometimes the unionized job comes off more flashy than a real job, sure. You pay for those bells & whistles too.

Actually...you don't know me, and therefore can't speak to whether or not I know any of you, can you?

I'm well aware not all of you live in Toronto...something tells me "Randy from Sturgeon" is one such individual.

I'm unclear in what way a unionized job is not a "real job"...please explain.

You also pay for the "bells and whistles" that a Toyota Tacoma has over a Ford Ranger...that's because the Tacoma is a way better truck than the Ranger and it is more desirable to most people. Just like trucks...not all jobs are created equal. In my case I pay about 1% of my income in union dues but make around a third more money than I would if I did the same job for a non-union company. I'm not "paying for" anything.

Edited by fishNwire

My union/worker rep has helped me out a couple of times. Other times they've been kind of useless. I have close friends who are in the "inner circle" and when I see the favoritism, how some are clearly are "in it" for themselves and not the greater good, and hear about how money (my dues) is wasted on pet projects and a select few traveling and partying on my dime...I sometimes get a little frustrated, to say the least.

All that said...I'm well aware I'm way better off with my union (just about any union) than I would be if I didn't belong to one. The company I work for would like nothing more than to roll back a lot of what they are currently obligated to give us. People talk about how unions "back in the day" fought for and established a lot of the rights we enjoy as working people today. Then someone is always eager to say something like, "Yeah, but unions have outlived their usefulness." They don't realize that unions are currently engaged in the struggle to simply maintain what many now take for granted. If you think laws can't be repealed and that the people who run the companies we work for aren't trying to make that happen right now, you may be in for a big surprise one day when you show up for work and are told "There's no such thing as OT or paid vacation anymore."

Amen to this post (and his others).

I don't know why people are so willing to stand by and watch the entire country earn $13.00/hour. Let alone cheer about it (Hooray! The teachers are getting knocked down a couple of pegs!!!!).

Guess what, your life still sucks. The problem is that you can't even count on your kids having a better one than you did.

Capitalism giveth, and capitalism taketh away. Sad.

Jim

Actually...you don't know me, and therefore can't speak to whether or not I know any of you, can you?

I'm well aware not all of you live in Toronto...something tells me "Randy from Sturgeon" is one such individual.

I'm unclear in what way a unionized job is not a "real job"...please explain.

You also pay for the "bells and whistles" that a Toyota Tacoma has over a Ford Ranger...that's because the Tacoma is a way better truck than the Ranger and it is more desirable to most people. Just like trucks...not all jobs are created equal. In my case I pay about 1% of my income in union dues but make around a third more money than I would if I did the same job for a non-union company. I'm not "paying for" anything.

Your truck argument proves that your thesis is backed by nothing but opinion.

Oh and, what do you know? Still don't know me, thank god.

Have a good one.

Edited by Rich

I would need to move away or accept a position at " Home Care " outfit like Paramed to be non unionized , I will correct myself , I had 2 contracts , 1 35hr days and a 25hr evening shift /week...

Why is working for an "outfit like Paramed" not desirable? Is it just a coincidence that the companies you'd prefer not working for are non-unionized?

What company allows its employees or union allows its members to work 25 hrs of night shifts in the same week they work 35 hrs of day shifts? I hope you're not driving anywhere near someone I love at the end of one of those weeks...let alone administering health care to them.

Your truck argument proves that your thesis is backed by nothing but opinion.

Oh and, what do you know? Still don't know me, thank god.

Have a good one.

You could talk to a mechanic or just about anyone else in the automotive industry and they'll tell you that the Tacoma being a better truck than the Ranger is an "opinion" held so widely that it could be taken as fact. That you would attempt to argue against such a statement indicates you either work for Ford or haven't shopped for a truck in the last ten years. Anyone who has done so is reading this right now and nodding their head. Perhaps next you'd like to take issue with my ascertation that G Loomis generally makes better rods than Zebco.

Ok fishnwire, we get it. Your pro union. Move on.

You do your thing, I'll do mine. I've tried both, made my decision.

Glad to hear it all worked out Rich.

S.

So you feel the need to say "we get it...Move on" after the statements I've made...but weren't compelled to say anything to those that said "Unions suck". OK Sinker, we get it. You're anti union. Move on. You may as well, since you can't seem to offer any counter-arguments to what I've said.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone to join a union Sinker...I couldn't care less whether or not you belong to one. It's not like the average unionist wants to see a law that makes union membership a legal requirement...it's the anti-unionists that want to see membership outlawed. I absolutely will continue to "Do [my] thing"...including working with a strong union. If that bothers you, get used to being bothered.