Terminator Pro Series Titanium Leader Wire

solopaddler

Just stumbled across this stuff and it looks intersting. Supposedly you can tie knots with it which would avoid crimping and make things very easy.

Sold in 25' lengths for around $20 it seems almost too good to be true.

Has anyone used this stuff? Would like to hear some feedback.

http://www.basspro.com/Terminator-Pro-Series-Titanium-Leader-Wire/product/30727/

I've used it for pike and a bit saltwater, the captain still preferred to crimp a sleeve, rather than a knot...you can tie a clinch knot, but gotta really pull on it, leave a tag end in case it slips, and I always put a drop of super glue on it...that was with 80 or 100 lb, i'm sure the lighter stuff is easier to tie

I regularly use the rio wire tippet (20 lb for fly fishing), it's good stuff but not kink proof

always use an improved albright if I'm not using a swivel to attach to mainline, 12 turns up, 12 turns down

also ordered this stuff, hvae used the single strand but not the 7 strand yet...it's also pretty good, same company that makes the fluoro swivels

http://www.aquateko.com/category_s/57.htm

I used this stuff as well for a season to try it out as I recieved a couple of free samples.

http://www.aquateko....tegory_s/57.htm

At first I thought this stuff was amazing but I did not trust the knot. Anything over 40 # is very hard to tie.

Im going back to using 60-80# Seaguar premier flouro leader

I still have some packs left over.

Send me a P.M. and I can ship you some to see if you like it

I used this stuff as well for a season to try it out as I recieved a couple of free samples.

http://www.aquateko....tegory_s/57.htm

At first I thought this stuff was amazing but I did not trust the knot. Anything over 40 # is very hard to tie.

Im going back to using 60-80# Seaguar premier flouro leader

I still have some packs left over.

Send me a P.M. and I can ship you some to see if you like it

This board rocks, thanks bud! PM sent

that's exactly right on the knot, i find i get good results using a polamar, but if you're retying it eats up leader, if you're tying one knot to a snap it's good

for my clinch knots, the thicker it is the less turns i use, max 3 turns for the heavy stuff, sometimes 2, pull it tight with pliers on the hook and wrapped around a gloved hand

and then a healthy coat of uv glue or superglue

pretty popular to use a piece of shrink tubing over the knot too

for my clinch knots, the thicker it is the less turns i use, max 3 turns for the heavy stuff, sometimes 2, pull it tight with pliers on the hook and wrapped around a gloved hand

and then a healthy coat of uv glue or superglue

pretty popular to use a piece of shrink tubing over the knot too

Great info, thanks.

Just curious Mike. Are you thinking of using this leader for pike fly fishing? If not,,would this be suitable for that application?

Thanks

I think it would be perfect for flyfishing as you could tie it directly to your streamer, especially in the lighter pound tests.

My sole purpose is for casting lightweight plastics in shallow water for very early spring pike with a spinning rod.

the reviews on bass pro site dont seem to be the greatest

Maybe not?,but that never stops us for giving it a try.I've tried too many things,some worked ,some not lol. What's the next new thing? :tease:Still may look into that as well!

Edited by davey buoy

It is hard to tie. I did not find it any harder to tie than 80lb flouro though, however I only ever used the 40lb strand of titanium lead. I did exactly as you suggested, a light lead for spinning gear in the spring, and it worked great. A real wet uni-knot with 3 spins worked fine, tightened with pliers. I have switched over to mono leads in the spring however as it's just cheaper.

It is hard to tie. I did not find it any harder to tie than 80lb flouro though, however I only ever used the 40lb strand of titanium lead. I did exactly as you suggested, a light lead for spinning gear in the spring, and it worked great. A real wet uni-knot with 3 spins worked fine, tightened with pliers. I have switched over to mono leads in the spring however as it's just cheaper.

I'd be afraid to use mono for pike myself, but no doubt it ties easier. bare foot wader had good advice I think. 3 turns on the clinch knot, a dab of crazy glue and maybe even shrink tubing over the knot.

Harrison pm'd me to inform me of a similar product he sells made by Tuf Line called Tuf Leader. Much cheaper than the Terminator stuff, it may be worth a shot.

Mike,i still have a similar product that was made by Fenwick. Its hard to find though. I can use it the same as heavy floro or mono. I beleive the tuff line one is the one i bought last year for the toothy critters in the saltwater and it worked very well.

Mike,i still have a similar product that was made by Fenwick. Its hard to find though. I can use it the same as heavy floro or mono. I beleive the tuff line one is the one i bought last year for the toothy critters in the saltwater and it worked very well.

Thanks Marvin. I'm going to try both of them and see how it goes.

I just bought the tuf line leader but its still in the mail ,

http://www.tuf-line.com/products_Specialty-Lines_20.html

I have a pack of the titanium leader in 40lb your welcome to if your passing by the area .i found it to be a pain to tie while waist deep in water ,the knots never pull tight really it even says that on the pack, so the knots always seem bulky . The wraps of your clinch knot wont pull up tight to each other . But it is good for not kinking

I just bought the tuf line leader but its still in the mail ,

http://www.tuf-line.com/products_Specialty-Lines_20.html

I have a pack of the titanium leader in 40lb your welcome to if your passing by the area .i found it to be a pain to tie while waist deep in water ,the knots never pull tight really it even says that on the pack, so the knots always seem bulky . The wraps of your clinch knot wont pull up tight to each other . But it is good for not kinking

Even with less wraps on the clinch? 3 sound about right to me then a dab of glue.

In my case I'll most likely make the leaders up beforehand using a tiny cross lock snap rather than tying directly to my bait while fishing. I change lures far too often to make that viable.

And hey, I'd be happy to take that stuff off your hands Jeff.

Cheers :)

I have a unique passion for knots ha...and always looking up saltwater knots and practicing, particularly right now in preparation for my next trip

you could google malin 7 strand knot/figure 8 knot....if you're fishing big worm hooks you could try snelling it, i think that would work

the stuff isn't easy to work with and you gotta "man handle" the knot so to say when you are tying it, it won't pull together to form a pretty knot like mono, has to be pulled TIGHT and I drown the knot in glue still...it's a pain with cold fingers, battling boat control in a bad wind, etc

I've pretty much settled on 60 or 80lb big game mono or fluoro for ease of use...but I prefer the kink resistant wire for fly fishing and lighter baits like plastics, i think you get better action from it and is much easier to tie, no baptism of super glue required

crimping is probably the easiest , sucks to lose a fish to a bad knot...and i fyou're fising mostly plastics you can pull the crimp inside the head of the bait

Mike,

Very cool to see that you too are interested in the Terminator tieable titanium leader material, as this is something I have been thinking about purchasing for my trip to Beteau as well. I recently saw a Linder's Angling Edge show where they were fishing Nipigon for big pike using this stuff in 30# size. Currently, I've made up at least seven 10-12" 80# fluorocarbon leaders using crimps. However, when I throw my soft plastics like Sluggos and Flukes for pike, or hard baits like Husky Jerks and Countdowns for walleye, I do not want to be using the big 80# fluoro leader.

I was planning on trying 2 different options....1.) 20# or 30# Terminator tieable titanium, or 2.) Remaining 20# fluorocarbon I have from a recent trip to Florida that help up great against the barnacles and toothy fish I caught.

I would love to hear a report back from you on what you thought about the Terminator leader material after you get back from Beteau, since you will be headed there a couple weeks before I leave.

Here is a link to an excerpt of that episode where they were using it. The video actually shows the part where they talk about the leaders they are using. This episode also made me go out and buy a jointed Rapala BX Swimmer I plan on trying: http://www.lindnermedia.com/angling-edge/video/2013-lfe-show-7-lake-nipigon-adventure

Edited by rocko0305

Mike,

Very cool to see that you too are interested in the Terminator tieable titanium leader material, as this is something I have been thinking about purchasing for my trip to Beteau as well. I recently saw a Linder's Angling Edge show where they were fishing Nipigon for big pike using this stuff in 30# size. Currently, I've made up at least seven 10-12" 80# fluorocarbon leaders using crimps. However, when I throw my soft plastics like Sluggos and Flukes for pike, or hard baits like Husky Jerks and Countdowns for walleye, I do not want to be using the big 80# fluoro leader.

I was planning on trying 2 different options....1.) 20# or 30# Terminator tieable titanium, or 2.) Remaining 20# fluorocarbon I have from a recent trip to Florida that help up great against the barnacles and toothy fish I caught.

I would love to hear a report back from you on what you thought about the Terminator leader material after you get back from Beteau, since you will be headed there a couple weeks before I leave.

Here is a link to an excerpt of that episode where they were using it. The video actually shows the part where they talk about the leaders they are using. This episode also made me go out and buy a jointed Rapala BX Swimmer I plan on trying: http://www.lindnermedia.com/angling-edge/video/2013-lfe-show-7-lake-nipigon-adventure

Hey, I'd be happy to drop you a line when we get back from Beteau, no problem. And thanks for including that link!

After being alerted of it's existence and the ease of working with it, I'm now also going to try the Tuf Leader made by Tuf Line. You might want to have a look at that stuff too.

Cheers

Mike,

20# flouro is way to light

I wouldnt go less than 60# flouro for pike. I usually use 50# and have been bitten off a few times.

Obviously the pike at Bateau are a lot bigger than the ones that have bitten me off so its better to be safe than sorry

20# flouro is way to light

I wouldnt go less than 60# flouro for pike. I usually use 50# and have been bitten off a few times.

Obviously the pike at Bateau are a lot bigger than the ones that have bitten me off so its better to be safe than sorry

I am pretty much in agreement with you on that. My intent was to use the 20# fluoro for sluggos and flukes, where I wouldn't be losing a $10 lure if I got bit off. However, I would hate to injure a fish, or lose a big one in the process too. That is why I think I will try the Terminator leader since it is tieable, and I do not want to use a snap when sluggo/fluke fishing.

Where I am really wondering what to use is when I tie on a Flicker Shad, Hot n Tot, Husky Jerk, etc. for walleyes. What do you use for those situations?

Edited by rocko0305