Anyone here boiling sap?

Sinker

I seem to be getting a real good yeild this year. The 140l we boiled today made 4.75l of syrup. Good haul. Im happy with that, but sad its probably over. I plan on pulling taps on the weekend and hopefully yanking the boat out from the snowbank LOL

S.

Yesterdays batch...

IMG_20140408_212133_zps0a4645db.jpg

I'm not sure it was cold enough here last night to get another run. There was a bit of frost, and the puddles skimmed over, but I dunno if it was cold enough. The ground is still kinda squishy. If not, I'm going to pull taps this weekend, get all the gear cleaned up, and go perchin!

S.

i have one more boil to deal with and will pull the taps this weekend...i have to tally up the final yield but i think im hovering around the 4 gallon of syrup mark...nice colour Sinker ...all of mine are the same colour as TJs

I did another batch last week. Finished almost 6l, and it was really dark too. My taps are still in, and I'm hoping for one more good collection for a boil this weekend. We'll see....buds haven't opened up yet, so here's hoping.

S.

I just bought 3 gal of #1 syrup (2 gal of med. 1 gal. of light) for $50.00/gal I tried the making my own one year and I think it probably ended up costing me a lot more than that LOL.

you're definitely not going to get rich selling maple syrup, for me it's just a ritual of early spring, and a good excuse to drink beer around a camp fire

the sap was flowing well this Easter weekend in Haliburton

100_3033_zpsfda112de.jpg

we ran it through a coffee filter which seemed to take out most of the smokey flavour

100_3038_zps09e2846f.jpg

breakfast time

100_3039_zps5f3cfd2e.jpg

Good stuff Chris! I enjoy the process too....i wouldnt sell it to anyone, but I trade for other homemade goodies with it :)

A bucket filter is the cats meow for us small time syrup guys. Works great!

S.

thanks Sinker, I'll check that out (bucket filter), your tips are appreciated

Boiled 85 gallons off this weekend with my cousin down in Pembroke. We had always made syrup with our grandfather but he hasn't made it in about 10 years so my cousin made a boiler this winter and I must say it worked quite well. There are still a few kinks to work out but for year one, it was pretty good.

We didn't get started boiling until 4:30 so we boiled until midnight and fired up again the next morning. Not ideal but there was always a hockey game on so it worked out ok.

My cousins boiler contraption. Starting on the left is the warming pan, then the middle pan is hot sap and the right pan is the finishing pan. He would like to put a valve to drain the warming pan into the middle pan just to make it a little easier. On the finishing pan, 1" is roughly 2 gallons.

20140419_173338_zpskdu0daon.jpg

Dogs were getting tired.

20140419_212416_zps9hetkqqi.jpg

The next day and the dogs were still tired, hard work this syrup stuff.

20140420_151452_zpsi0ha7b2n.jpg

Getting close...

20140420_141225_zps6wur9xmy.jpg

All in all, no better way to spend the Easter weekend than with family boiling sap.

I like that setup; looks like the skeleton of an old oil tank..?

I finally got some useable syrup last night, maybe 1 litre. I ruined my first batch haha. The syrup is getting dark now and I learned a lot this year, can't wait to have a better setup next year.

I like that setup; looks like the skeleton of an old oil tank..?

I finally got some useable syrup last night, maybe 1 litre. I ruined my first batch haha. The syrup is getting dark now and I learned a lot this year, can't wait to have a better setup next year.

Ruined the first batch??? Please explain.....LOL

S.

overcooked the crap out of it haha. It was too small to properly measure the temp/hydrometer so I just eyed it out... well, I didn't eye it out well. Tasted horrible and burned and stuck to the pan exactly as you'd imagine it would. Might have been 1/2 to 1 litre.