Lake mapping

Roy

Love this idea! My only question is, do they need any product testers? Highly doubt I could afford or would spend this much on equipment this good.

I guess I'll continue using bottom bouncers and brain memory for my uncharted lakes.

Edited by Rod Caster

Sounds a lot like Dr.Depth which has been around for a bit.

Also, I hope Humminbird comes up with something cool like this! LOL!

I wonder what happens to that sonar data? Do they sell it? Upload it for all to use? I'd hate to upload a file I created for a lake that doesn't have depth charts and have it available to anyone/everyone for a fee.

Edited by BillM

Here is a Insight FAQ that provides additional information;

http://insightstore.lowrance.com/coming_soon/insight_genesis_faq.pdf

I personally don't like the fact that you need to connect to their Web Server to transfer and translate your data. And the subscription scheme looks scary.

The Dr Depth software appears to be a one time software license that resides on your computer and gives you a standalone system. ( No Web service when your in a remote location and want to create a map ).Here is a link providing some additional info.

http://www.hightechfishing.com/drdepth-1.html

I don't' personally have any experience but I'm interested in hearing more opinions on this thread !

I guarantee any GPS enabled chart is sending some data the other way...

I wish... that my 112C would do just that and correct all the charting errors as we go along, from data provided by two drunks in a row boat in the late 1800's, with a length of rope and a weight. Find three 100 foot spots and draw an oval! What.. we missed a 19 foot mountain in between, or well what's a downrigger?? !!.. and how hung up can 4 sharks really get?

I wonder what happens to that sonar data? Do they sell it? Upload it for all to use? I'd hate to upload a file I created for a lake that doesn't have depth charts and have it available to anyone/everyone for a fee.

Why? If thats the case you'd benefit from someone elses data too. :dunno:

Think of all the mapping info they have to sell later ..Its like google cars mapping all the roads

This is the best part.. You pay for everything, upload the maps and they re-sell for a profit..

That's why I like programs like Dr.Depth, do it yourself and it's all yours.. No uploading to any central servers, etc.

If i can just buy everything already mapped, i would be able to spend a lot more time fishing then finding ideal structure to fish. And if i can help map uncharted areas, great! Im sure there would be a ton of thankful people such as myself.

I'll keep my favourite spots to myself, lol.