Tablet and Navionics App

wkrp

I have an ipad2 with the navionics app on it. You would need a data connectivity plan or tether data from a phone to the tablet in order for you to use it.

I have used it in the past without connectivity for simple lake maps. Now that I have an iphone, it's easy to tether the data to it using remote hotspot.

I have it on an iPAD too. First an iPAD 1 and now the 3. It works well. It's more accurate with a wifi version. Screen is hard to see in bright sunlight but its ok. There is an upgrade that is a bit extra that gives you more navigation features.

It works faster than my Raymarine C80. It's a great backup for my main gps and great for the admiral looking ahead at the course while the main one is used for driving.

If you use it as your main gps, get a waterproof case and some way to power it from the boat.

I have an ipad2 with the navionics app on it. You would need a data connectivity plan or tether data from a phone to the tablet in order for you to use it.

I have used it in the past without connectivity for simple lake maps. Now that I have an iphone, it's easy to tether the data to it using remote hotspot.

Apparently you dont need data connectivity if the tablet has GPS.

Not a techie here, but using Pads/phones is using cell towers to triangulate and locate your location, correct?

Is it as accurate as real satelite GPS?

peter

Phones and tablets now a days actually have gps capabilities...not using cell phone towers to triangulate.

The new hds units can connect with iphone and ipad and give u full control of the unit using an app. Amazing idea! Now i can floor-mount my massive ipad at the bow of the boat, and get a HDS-12 size monitor for free...

Don't hit any waves because that screen will crack in no time, lol.

You also need the $250 wireless module if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by BillM

I've got that problem in my Lund (can't swivel my graph because of the windshield).. Drives me crazy because I'm constantly asking the oldman how deep it is, lol! Once I get a new Terrova installed with US2, I'll be dropping a Humminbird 747c upfront and will never have to ask the oldman for depth again :)

As long as you don't destroy the iPad in the process, sounds like a killer way to get data up to the front of the boat.

I've got that problem in my Lund (can't swivel my graph because of the windshield).. Drives me crazy because I'm constantly asking the oldman how deep it is, lol! Once I get a new Terrova installed with US2, I'll be dropping a Humminbird 747c upfront and will never have to ask the oldman for depth again :)

As long as you don't destroy the iPad in the process, sounds like a killer way to get data up to the front of the boat.

. How are those Terrova units? Have u used the wired motors before?