ice fishing report

northernpike56

Me and Chris (ChristopherK) went ice fishing to a few smaller local lakes on Sunday. To start off, we went to a lake that Chris had fished in last summer for carp and sunfish but didn't end up catching anything there.

We went to another lake that we thought might be good and ended up catching a few perch while setting up, but they were mostly small.

After me and Chris had everything set up, I put down my heavier ice rod with 6 pound line, a metal leader, and a big dead minnow for pike, and chris did the same thing with a tip-up that he brought. About 5 minutes later I looked out the window of the ice hut and saw my rod pulled out of the snow and being dragged towards the hole. I set the hook and the pike started fighting back. I think I must have had it on for about 5 seconds, then the line went slack and I could feel nothing. Lost it.

For the next hour or so, the action was pretty slow. I think Chris and I probably caught around 5 perch, and I caught a fairly decent one that we took a picture of.

image_zps54df58f5.jpg

image_zps02f8fe3a.jpg

After that, I went back into the ice hut and Chris jigging a teardrop jig and a small minnow (I think). He suddenly got a bite, his rod got pulled down, and the drag went off. He fought his fish for about a minute, thinking it was a bass or a really big perch. He got it landed okay, and it was a pike that was probably around 14 inches or so. We took a few quick pictures than put it back too.

image_zps07333cf7.jpg

image_zps55255a2c.jpg

image_zpsa31e151c.jpg

The total for the day was 1 pike and about 10 perch landed, and then the one bigger pike that I lost. It was a good day for us. The pike through the ice was a first for me (and Chris I think), and the fish had really nice colors on them too.

Hope you enjoyed,

Matt.

Edited by northernpike56

Thanks for the nice report. And I am sure all of the old pros on this board would agree that we all started off small when we were young. Heck I use to take my lunch sandwhiches in grade 5 and 6 and a spool of line with a hook attached and go catch minnows and small suckers at the creek under what is now Roxanne's (A Strip Joint) in KW. Anything to be out fishing