Heavy Wet Snow - Good or Bad for Ice?

Rich

I'm headed out ice fishing today, will be solo the first four hours. There are spots I know I can fish safely that had 6"+ of black ice before the snow. However the pike grounds were at about 2.5" before about two feet of heavy snow fell. I'm worried the weight of the snow may weaken the ice further out. Then again, it may have slushed down from ice fishing pressure and may now be 12" of ice. Whaddaya think? Should I wait til afternoon to push it when I have a friend to keep watch (possibly hold the rope)? Or do you think the ice will be okay?

I think I'll screw a couple of my hut anchors in the 6"+ area and tie to them, if need be. It's sunday though and I'm sure there will be others out who have pushed it already. How nobody has gone through this season is beyond me.

Snow is the worst thing for ice.

Depending how much snow you got you can expect heavy slush in places even on your 6" ice.

That thin ice (anything under 6") is now dangerous so stay off it.

This issue is bad enough with light fluffy snow, heavy wet snow is devastating to the ice.

It would have been a pretty boring video. No ice cracks, no fish either. Lol

Apparently the 4 days of -20 nights countered the snow cover, there was almost 6" of black stuff under the snow blanket out there. The kicker is the fish were 15ft off shore and the long walk was for nothing but viewing aqua vu scenery. Lol

Lots have gone through this season already. Maybe not on the lake you are on play safe.

I meant this particular lake. There was a gaping open spot that took forever to freeze and stayed around 2" of ice until yesterday, apparently. Lol People were nuts. I dunno how many snowmobiles were ripping around while I was still tied to a tree and death gripping my ice picks.