Tip Up rigs - how do you setup yours

Jds63

I have a couple of different styles of tip ups but the one I tend to use more is the Beaver Dam.

I have it spooled with the black Dacron line tied to a small swivel and then about 2 ft of 10 lb flouro leader. I setup a couple of split shots above the swivel and 1 on the leader with a Gamakatsu octopus hook, usually fished with a live shiner. This is used for both walleye and lakers.

Wondering what types of setups everyone is using (for Walleye and Lakers)?

Does anyone use a 3 way swivel on the tip up, with 1 line going to swimming minnow and the bottom line to a bell sinker so it sits just above bottom ?

Small single hook or treble (walleye and lakers)?

style of weights ?

I use a simple balance tip-up with light mono for most of my walleye and perch fishing. 1 split shot and a small excalibur treble works well [i always back-hook the minnow]

For bigger fish I use an insulated polar tip up. I spooled it with 40# dacron with a couple feet of 17# mono leader. Bigger treble hooks [sometimes 2] and much more weight if I'm fishing deep.

For the Beaver Dam tip-ups I also basically do what you described but with 6-8ft leader. Sometimes I use a slip sinker; and sometimes I put a second hook on, either "drop shot" style or with a short leader tied directly. I've also used trebles, but primarily stick with single hooks. Never tried using a three-way swivel but might be worth a try., as long as it's not too long since I assume it would get really tangled up.

I also tried that striker style rig they were using on Uncut Angling with a large bait. It's basically two #4 trebles, with one tied directly to the leader and the second tied to the first hook with a small piece of mono. I had no takers, but only tried it one day .

For walleyes, my tipups are setup with 30Lbs dacron, bell sinker above a wire leader and Mustad Octopus beak hook, tip with a salty (salted frozen minnow). You'll probably ask why a wire leader?? Our walleye lakes are infested with pike and never know when one will strike :whistling::)

As for lakers.... Season is closed up here :( so I can't help you with that.

Tight lines

TJunkie

I set up my tip up pretty much exactly as you described. I use the Frabill Thermals.

Those thermals look pretty Heavy Duty

For the Beaver Dam tip-ups I also basically do what you described but with 6-8ft leader. Sometimes I use a slip sinker; and sometimes I put a second hook on, either "drop shot" style or with a short leader tied directly. I've also used trebles, but primarily stick with single hooks. Never tried using a three-way swivel but might be worth a try., as long as it's not too long since I assume it would get really tangled up.

I also tried that striker style rig they were using on Uncut Angling with a large bait. It's basically two #4 trebles, with one tied directly to the leader and the second tied to the first hook with a small piece of mono. I had no takers, but only tried it one day .

I like the slip sinker ... perhaps with floating yellow jig head and minnow combo

For walleyes, my tipups are setup with 30Lbs dacron, bell sinker above a wire leader and Mustad Octopus beak hook, tip with a salty (salted frozen minnow). You'll probably ask why a wire leader?? Our walleye lakes are infested with pike and never know when one will strike :whistling::)

As for lakers.... Season is closed up here :( so I can't help you with that.

Tight lines

TJunkie

Do you have better luck with the salties, just figured live is better for walters ? we will be targeting the lakers Feb 15th

I don't use tipups, especially for Simcoe lakers. Get them on the chase!

I only use the tip up where permitted , only been on Simcoe twice, too many other choices up north and far less crowds ... set them up usually for Walleye but have got lakers on them as well ...just saw your amazing laker photo BTW, thats a beauty .....

....Do you have better luck with the salties, just figured live is better for walters ? we will be targeting the lakers Feb 15th

Live is better for sure... but up here, we are not allowed... so salties work good for us :)

Also forgot to mention that all my tipups have small reels on them with ball bearings inside... when a walleye takes the minnow, can swim away with it without feeling any resistance :)

Edited by TroutJunkie

I heard a technique this year that has yet to work for me but it seemed like fun. I took a gold/silver williams warbbler, removed the treble and tied that on to the tip up main line, then added 14' of 8 pound mono to the hook with the shiner. Apparently the spoon is supposed to attract the fish without getting in the way like people do when Trolling for Trout and Salmon over the summer.

Like I said though, no fish on the tip up for me.

I only use the tip up where permitted , only been on Simcoe twice, too many other choices up north and far less crowds ... set them up usually for Walleye but have got lakers on them as well ...just saw your amazing laker photo BTW, thats a beauty .....

Thanks man.. I'll use set lines for them on other lakes and be successful, but Simcoe is a different beast.

I heard a technique this year that has yet to work for me but it seemed like fun. I took a gold/silver williams warbbler, removed the treble and tied that on to the tip up main line, then added 14' of 8 pound mono to the hook with the shiner. Apparently the spoon is supposed to attract the fish without getting in the way like people do when Trolling for Trout and Salmon over the summer.

Like I said though, no fish on the tip up for me.

Jeremy, there was a time, 40 or so years ago, when on Lake Manitou (Manitoulin Island) that's all we ever used. There was never a need to try anything else. This was a silver hookless Williams then 12" to 24" mono with a pearl strung on the mono then a size 4 or 6 treble with a very small chunk of sucker on it. It worked perfectly while jigging aggressively or even not moving. Often getting them on the drop or the retrieve also. I haven't been there in years but I'd like to try that again.