First whitefish

Rod Caster

Driving out to a spot wearing shoes, jogging pants and no toque, even at -20 is a fantastic thing. Only in the winter can I take 3 or 4 hours out of my day and easily get to some good fishing with VERY little effort. I love mid-season ice fishing... it can be as easy or challenging as I wish on any particular day.

Callander Bay (nipissing) provided some great fishing today. Fished 12-14fow, near a shallow bay, using a tiny buckshot spoon and a minnow head. I tallied 11 walleye, 4 big perch and finally, my first whitefish in a LONG time. Catching a whitefish has been a recent goal of mine, and even though I was not really targeting that species today, it was great to finally catch one. Here are the photos from Callander Bay:

IMG-20130206-00045_zps708cebd1.jpg

IMG-20130206-00044_zpsd4c498be.jpg

IMG-20130206-00043_zpse03759ba.jpg

IMG-20130206-00040_zpse5fde55a.jpg

Here is a video of JoeyTier catching a nice pike from Nipissing. My narration of "that's a 15 pounder" is NOT accurate haha. WARNING THERE IS ONE SWEAR WORD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osLlY5aCuME&feature=youtu.be

Right on Chad - looks like a great day. Congrats on the whitie. If you want to ship a filet or two down here I have some recipes and can tell which one to use? :D

Sure, I'll just pack them with ice and....Hey! wait a minute :lol:

A whitey in 14 fow? Man you just tell the fish to get up on the ice and they listen to you don't they? :lol: Great job. Love the car fishing.

I know, I didn't expect to catch a whitefish that's for sure. At first I thought I had a world record herring!

Nicely done! it's been a fantastic year for Nipissing that's for sure.

"It's a 15 pounder!" lol, I have a buddy that's doing that all the time

As for cooking the Whitie, I'm in the same dilemma. Got my first one in years and not sure what to do with it...

I thought about baking it with spices and a cream cheese/crab meat covering but have heard that they are terrific fried.

Did you find it was a bit of a mess to clean relative to other fish? I did and also mine had snails in its stomach.

Edited by Trouty

Awesome Chad :thumbsup_anim: Got to love it when you can fish out of your vehicle B) Congrats on the whitie :clapping: Bet you thought you had a 15lbs walleye on when that beauty hit your jigging spoon eh :whistling::P:lol:

Your having a great season so far :good: Keep it up :thumbsup_anim:

I got two great looking filets off Mr.Whitie. Anybody have good suggestions for cooking whitefish? I was thinking of baking in butter with a some butter, dill and pepper...or something like that.

....... As for cooking the Whitie, I'm in the same dilemma. Got my first one in years and not sure what to do with it......

As for suggestions on cooking whities.... a dab of butter in a hot pan, salt & pepper to taste and that's it :) That's how I cook my fish.... with a side dish of rice and thinly slice sautéed vegetables :D

Tight lines

TJunkie

Edited by TroutJunkie

Nicely done! it's been a fantastic year for Nipissing that's for sure.

"It's a 15 pounder!" lol, I have a buddy that's doing that all the time

As for cooking the Whitie, I'm in the same dilemma. Got my first one in years and not sure what to do with it...

I thought about baking it with spices and a cream cheese/crab meat covering but have heard that they are terrific fried.

Did you find it was a bit of a mess to clean relative to other fish? I did and also mine had snails in its stomach.

You get yours on Nipissing as well? How deep?

I'll likely bake it with very basic spices, or I'll do a light breading and bake it.

I found it quite easy to clean but yes, it did make a bit of a mess, lots of slime and blood. The wife just found a huge blood stain on the top of the paper towel roll. Lets just say it didn't make her morning haha.

Great catch, glad u had a terrific day and most importantly delicious dinner.

The whities are alot harder to catch up here than they were in Ontario.

After many recipies over the years we still 99 percent of the time do them up as follows.

If you have the time cut the fillets into nugget size pieces and put them in a zip lock, add your fish crisp, rocky, chronzy or combination, just enough to coat the fish and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours, if u do not have the time to put in the fridge no worries. Add 1/8 of an inch of olive oil in the frying pan, when the oil is just starting to show tiny pin size bubbles add the fish, turn over till golden brown. Taste like chicken.