Feb 1 outting with the kids.

wuchikubo

This trip was in the plans when I found two weeks ago that there was to be a PA day on Feb 1 and 15th this month. Taking the day off work to ice fish with my kids and a couple of friends was sketchy with the warm spell we got mid week, back up plan was to go to the movies.

Anyways, when I checked the earlier reports from here and the forecast, I confirmed with the kids that we would be ice fishing (they were both excited to go with me and leave mom at home).

Told my friends that we would meet up at my house at 8:00am, after a few stops for last minute items including minnows, coffee and food, we were at the ice (guildford)at about 9:30am, quickly set up the pull out equipment/sleds and clothing.

A few hut operators were out and were transporting guests in their makeshift passenger sleds pulled by their ATVs. One person (working for the operators?) mentioned to me there was 14" of ice, I found the ice to be more around 10". We walked towards the huts and stopped about 3/4 of the way and set up our portable fish huts/tents. About 18-20 FOW, the Vex showing multiple fish at the bottom. Drilled out two holes in the hut/tent and gave the kids the rods to fish with lures tipped with minnows. My son ended up going over to my friend's hut about 10 ft away. Could hear them getting onto fish (mostly dinks). My daughter stayed with me in our hut/tent. After loosing some minnows to those sneaky perch we decided to focus on the small hammered spoon and jigging rap. After a quick tip to my daughter, she pulls in her first fish after figuring out the hook set.

First fish Feb 1 2013.JPG

After a while, the fish became less active and the kids were getting hungry, made some instant noodles and had some timbits. After that, the kids needed to run around to burn off some of that sugar. Returning back to the hut/tent to fish for a couple of more hours before we headed home. My son hooked a large fish (likely a pike) and fought it for about 5 minutes before I tried to help him and ending up with a snipped line. On the way back my son decided he'd pull the sled (running) back to our launch area. I was surprised he didn't fall as it was like a skating rink, ice was smooth and hard to walk on.

02012013 going back.JPG

We all must have caught at least 50 fish in total (between the four of us) and it was a fun day for all the kids. I enjoyed watching my kids get into some fish.

Well, I've had my fill of perch for the year (not a perch fan) and look forward to possibly some whitefish / lake trout fishing sunday morning.

Tight lines and be careful out there,

Stan

Right on Stan and fam. My littlest one loves her perchin' too.

Thanks Drew, I haven't had a chance to take them ice fishing last year because of the warm spell. It's always fun to watch the littlest ones light up with joy with their first catch of the day.

I look forward to reading up on your epic fishing trips. I can't phantom the amount of prep work needed for your trips.

Leaving to do some fishing in about 40 mins with some OFNers.

Tight lines and be safe out there,

Stan

Edited by HearingFish