Sketchy ice south of Shanty Bay Feb 2

kickingfrog

Planned on fishing the west side of Kempenfelt Bay Saturday morning. One guy was heading out on foot just as we were parking. He was set-up about 200-300 yards from shore by the time we got to the water's edge.

Ice looked ok. Step out and spud, second hit breaks through, maybe 2 inches of ice. Figure maybe the ice by shore melted more in the thaw. Single spud out a ways more and then stop to give'er a couple of hits and the same thing 2 inches, maybe. The only thing that tightened up out there was not the ice.

Easy decision for me and my brother, no fish is worth this. We turn around and head back. Meet a guy at the start of the trail and tell him what we encountered, he shrugs and heads towards the lake. As we are loading the car up we hear someone else is heading out on the ice on an atv. We debate the options in the car and decide that rather then skipping up the west side or driving south to Cooks Bay we'd try Couch.

Lots of ice on Couch even a full size pick-up out by some huts. Head out, drill some holes and mark fish right away. Nothing caught but small perch and one 12 incher, but there will be other trips.

Both spots had just enough snow on the ice to make walking without cleats easy.

I dont know what to say about this. yes the ice is not forming the same,but the bay ice never has,due to a current that the bay has. Maybe you found that soft spot that is found in many spots of the bay, I know years back fishing a good 8-10 inches of ice,my oldest boy was walking around and spudding holes,and came across a spot that was 3inches. Only 50 ft away from our good ice.. Scary for sure.

Thats why you chip chip,step step. This is still new ice. Don,t take the cold temps for granted.