Get the most out of your hut heater.

Ron

I have been tinkering for a while trying to find something to improve the efficiency of my Mr. Heater Buddy. I think I have finally come up with a solution. I dismantled my old Dell computer which I had replaced with a newer Asus gen II, I took the processor fan out as most will know, computers run based on a 12 volt DC system. I then attached longer wire leads to the fan motor, (pay special attention to polarity), I then installed a matching terminal to my charger and also added a broom handle holster which is simply taped on with black electrical tape. The holster fits snug on the handle of the Mr. Heater buddy and also will fit the frame of my Frabill Trekker. I found the fan worked best on the heater though. here are a few pics.

IMG-20130109-00457.jpg

IMG-20130109-00456.jpg

You may have to modify to see fit for your application.

Total cost for this:

new computer - $1356.59, broom handle holster - $3.38, terminal end - $1.13, electrical tape used for this project - $0.33, water tight heat shrink crimps - $0.58.

Now I'm sure you can find a cheaper fan motor or may even have an old computer laying around you can take it out of to bring the cost down.

Cheers, Ron...

Thanks for the replies guys.

Do you use you sonar battery to power it?

Yes I do, I built my own portable fish finder set up a dozen or so yrs back and have since then, used one of my finders off the boat. I went a little over board setting up the case by adding a female jack to match my charger. I simply "back feed" from the jack. You can also just use alligator clips directly to the battery.

Great idea, quick question how do u like the performance of the heater, we were just looking 2 days ago at them on the canadian tire web site.

I really like the quietness of the Mr heater buddy. It is better than any of teh other heating sources I have used. The "Sunflower" style heaters generate a lot of heat but are just plain noisy. I don't like the fumes from any blue flame burner as in a propane stove or even the naphtha fuel stoves.

With the fan on the heater, I can set unit to the lower setting and have better heat throughout the hut.

Can't argue with Ron's idea here (cuz I know Ron and he's a good buddy) but radiant heat is just what it says. The heat is radiated. Normally it doesn't or shouldn't have to depend on a fan boost. I've installed these systems in huge commercial buildings and they work just fine. I just can't see it being much of a benefit in a 6x4 cubicle. The heat is being produced and has to go somewhere. Boosting it with a fan doesn't produce any more btu's. But if you have an old cpu fan and battery laying around, go for it. Your McGyverism just might make you feel warmer.