Building a secondary residence.

Freshtrax

First of I got skunked for splake up in Dorset yesterday.

My father just asked me this week if I would move back home and help him take care of the family farm as he aged. We're looking ad adding a prefab cabin/cottage to the property. Nothing incredibly fancy but comfortable enough for me the fiancé and one or two kids down the road. We're looking around 700 sq ft with a loft. No basement. And on a separate septic from the main house. We could use the same well. My main concern is getting permits anyone have any tips on dealing with the planning department. I've heard there lax on " seasonal farm help residences". We're located outside of alliston. We plan on heating with Woodstove and baseboards as a backup. Any help is appreciated as I'm way outa my league here.

Dammit I can't edit the title.

Edited by Freshtrax

I think that anything that includes both a kitchen and sleeping quarters would count as a separate residence. I am not sure what the zoning laws allow; you may have to sever a piece of the property in order to build a separate residence.

I think you can have everything except a stove before it legally becomes a separate residence.

Zoning laws for farms may be a bit more liberal though.

As a rule, help houses are supposed to be temporary structures. The usual buildings being portables, mobile homes, trailers. All of which lack a foundation. The moment you lay down a foundation for living accomodations, your structure will fall under the Ontario building code.

Perhaps the municipality may give some leeway. I have not met many building inspectors willing to show much flexibility, mind I stopped building houses 12 years back.

You may want to take the way of the so called granny flat , where its said that you will be taking up the main house thats there now , and your parents will need to semi retire to a second dwelling that needs to be built now on the now same said property , and where it needs to be constructed in such away as to be the main dwelling in the future once the parents have passed on and the orignal house is removed , then leaving you with an updated house for the farm . After all is said and done , it dose'nt matter to the powers that be who ends up living in either house on the property .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Just talked to the planning department. Because its zoned agricultural granny suite is out. Only possibility is farm help. Means less than 800sq ft and no foundation. She said its mostly for trailers but as long as its got no foundation you could push the envelope a little. Any ideas? I'm thinking doubblewide and brick up the bottom to make it look like a bungalow.

Just talked to the planning department. Because its zoned agricultural granny suite is out. Only possibility is farm help. Means less than 800sq ft and no foundation. She said its mostly for trailers but as long as its got no foundation you could push the envelope a little. Any ideas? I'm thinking doubblewide and brick up the bottom to make it look like a bungalow.

Funny hu , where a granny suite is needed the most , its not aloud , crazy stuff , guess they don't want any one coming back home to take over the farms , size wise then is also restricted on what you can do , i think they got you with the 800 sq ft thing , where do you put the kids once they start coming along ??? . Guess its not an option for you to build on to the farm house .