Land Claim Proposal Is Public

Oggie

I may have missed the discussion on this topic and if I have my apologies.

The Algonquin Land Claim Proposal is public. It affects the Eastern side of Ontario from North Bay to Ottawa. If you recreate in this area or you pay taxes to the Province of Ontario you might want to educate yourself by having a look at the maps.

Dan O.

My link

The red areas will be given to the Algonquins. Most of the areas are crownland and contain hunt camps. Algonquins will own the land privately; it's not reserve land. No trespassing and no access to non-natives. Much of the land given is waterfront.

Many assumed the land given would be part of a huge block so that the First Nations could manage, hunt, fish etc. Not so. They were allowed to cherry pick the high value crown land (waterfront) in a mosaic pattern. This has never been done before apparently.

Dan O.

Terry I hope it ends all land claims as well and if it did I think I'd almost swallow it as is. It isn't the amount of land they want it's the fact that it's some of the best shoreline land in Ontario. They still reserve the right to hunt over half of Algonquin Park as well of course.

Of course you realize this will set the precendent for all Ontario land claims. Will it upset you when they cherry pick the Kawarthas or the Grand River watershed?

Dan O.

It isn't going to happen and we all know it !! I can see where this is going to end up ... It ridiculous to think the govt will simply hand it over not gonna happen....

Wanna bet? The government is scared to touch these issues with a 10 ft pole... They would much rather give them what they want so they dont cause problems. But... Give them an inch, and they take a mile. Just look at Caledonia.

Problem here is three fold...

either they buy off the bands (setting precedent) for all other land claims....

Or

they give them the lands (Setting precedent again) for all other land claims..

Or they drag this out in the courts forever.... (Most likely to happen)

The government is POWERLESS against this group....(except to stall the inevitable) in the end they will get what they want.....

Do you really think the Government is going to just hand over Toronto? (Yes part of a land claim made by natives)...

An end will have to come.. I just hope it's not with violence.. (Not the first time we have experienced a civil war....)

G.

Edit to add.. I lived in Caledonia when DCE happened... and I know all to well, they will fight to the death... and the people of Caledonia stood up against their tyranny.... sadly our government let them down... caving to the minority yet again.

Caledonia now has racial based law... they are instructed NOT to arrest the illegal occupiers of DCE (even in near death beatings!)... but to arrest the regular towns folk of Caledonia should a problem arise...

Seen it with my own eyes.

Edited by Gerritt

Yes I'm sure people with million dollar properties are gonna let them so called "cherry pick" their properties hmmmm don't think so,not to mention all the tax base the govt would be out it says 1million people live in the area that is in the land claim including the largest military base in Canada !!! It's just absurd .... To think of the huge issues and remember everything is always all about money !!! Just that fact alone means its not going to happen

One of the red areas on the Frontenac map includes a road that I access to fish. I will not be happy if this goes through and I can not access those lakes again.

you will still be able to access the lakes im sure...youll just have to pay an admission fee or boat launch fee... :whistling:

Edited by Twocoda

you will still be able to access the lakes im sure...youll just have to pay an admission fee or boat launch fee... :whistling:

Well I do that now as part of the Township fee to maintain the roads and crown land sites, so that won't be too bad as long as the fees are reasonable and they keep it maintained to the level it is now

By offering crown land to the First Nations the govt has essentially paid for the treaty. The newly acquired land will be sold for cottaging. Wonder if the natives get the taxes?

they wont sell the land...Im thinking they will "lease" it like they do the Sauble Land....

Fishndevil. The multi million dollar property in Caledonia was bought out by the government after the owner was beaten within an inch of his life for entering his own property. The governments solution? Buy the land, but they dont have the balls to remove the natives that are now on government property. Any non native caught on the propert are arrested by OPP ( if the natives dont get to them first)

They arent going to get millions of acres in Algonquin, but they will get a bunch of prime land ( making it seem like a nice solution).

Its like gas prices jumping to a $1.50 pr liter, then everyone is happy when it drops to $1.30. Reality is we are still gettin ripped off at $1.30

Lets face it... If the natives push hard enough, they will get what they want

It isn't going to happen and we all know it !! I can see where this is going to end up ... It ridiculous to think the govt will simply hand it over not gonna happen....

Not only is it going to happen but its as good as done. Laughable. I'd like to see us Band together and tell the Provincial Gooberment We refuse to pay our property taxes until we have done whats right. Who knows, we might all be sitting on disputed and/or claimable land. Fat chance huh? Spineless, gutless Cretins.

I certainly do not know a lot of the details but a lot of you guys are coming across racist in my view.

Just my two cents. :dunno:

LMAO!!!! I don't know any facts but I think I'll just label them" Racists". You can have those two cents back if you like.

LMAO!!!! I don't know any facts but I think I'll just label them" Racists". You can have those two cents back if you like.

They lay claim to the land and they suckered a group to manage it. At our expense of course. That mean we have to replace trees in the case of them wanting to do a little logging? How about fish stocks? Do we re-stock on our dime once they've emptied the bowls? On second thought it is Racism. Reversed Racism. Difference is we won't fight back. You want examples of land claims, there are plenty on the books, past present and more coming down the pipe. Racist???blink.gif

Edited by moxie