New Reg changes

esoxansteel

Ron mentioned that there were reg changes regarding several fish species in several zones, a great deal of work went into this by the MNR and the advisory councils, before it goes out for public input,

Regarding the question about the Bass changes, and the season opening 1 week earlier, the scientific study that helped to move the season a week earlier was done by Mark Ridgeway, and was carried out on Opeongo Lake in Algonquin Park, which is a deep and cold lake, the link to that study was posted up on OFC earlier when the questionaire went out for the public, if the some members on this board would have taken the time then to read the study, answer the survey, and educate themselves, the previous thread would still be open.

Also the increase in the size limit for Muskellunge to 54 inches in Zone 20 is great news as it includes the St. Lawrence River, and finally gives that body of water the protection and distinction it deserves as a trophy world class fishery.

The steelhead reduction in Lake Ontario is great news, and ironicaaly when it went out to the pulic for consultation, the stats were just over 100 anglers answered the survey, and only 3 were opposed of the reduction. When i spoke to Marc Dejardon who looks after the advisory council in Zone 20, both of us are avid steelheaders, and were shocked at the large number of steelheaders in Ontario, and Charter boat operators etc who utilize the resourse, and only 100 took the time to answer the survey, but then come on here and whine and complain about it and get the thread locked. Time to order a truck load of that Troll spray and clean things up a bit, or give the winers a pair of knitting needles and a bag of wool for Christmas.

bass season opener all for it,i am not a biologist but who am i to argue as to the study, that's just one less week I am chasing walleyes.

as for the trout reduction why not the ministry is trying to build a self sustaining population and not rely on stocking since the atlantic program is a bust.

What's the point in opening bass 1 week early? :dunno:

IMO, our bass populations are doing amazing and could easily handle having a yr round open season. Especially since they're not a popular "dinner species" like a few others are. Then have a "protected" season during their spawn to be C&R only.

What's the point in opening bass 1 week early? :dunno:

IMO, our bass populations are doing amazing and could easily handle having a yr round open season. Especially since they're not a popular "dinner species" like a few others are. Then have a "protected" season during their spawn to be C&R only.

Maybe it's a start of more to come?

What's the point in opening bass 1 week early? dunno.gif

Why Jamie would you want to have a C&R during the spawn for Bass,dunno.gif as they are one of the few fish species with the maternal instinct to protect there nest, and there young, doing that would leave the nest, and young open to predation. I do not see your rational on that one.

Why Jamie would you want to have a C&R during the spawn for Bass,dunno.gif as they are one of the few fish species with the maternal instinct to protect there nest, and there young, doing that would leave the nest, and young open to predation. I do not see your rational on that one.

I'm still seeing some amazing bass in New York . :dunno:

Jamie,

I'd suggest you do some research on the matter before you make that assumption that our waters can handle it. Large bodies of water could MAYBE handle it a bit better but smaller cottage lakes?

No one knows the effects of NY's decision to open that up as of yet....takes a long time for that to become apparent. Why would anyone want to risk the level of outstanding Bass fishing we have in Ontario so we can fish em for a few more months?

It was suggested at the FMZ18 meetings that we may be able to consider that but once the biologist showed us the impact of a fish being pulled from a bed for as little as 30 seconds it was a non starter.

RJ

Stoty with all those sponsors you have listed, the last thing you should be asking for is an all year open season for Bass, with C&R only during the spawn, and to have a lone follower in Chris K using Lake Ontario as a comparison, to the smaller waters in Zone 17, is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

Jamie,

I'd suggest you do some research on the matter before you make that assumption that our waters can handle it. Large bodies of water could MAYBE handle it a bit better but smaller cottage lakes?

No one knows the effects of NY's decision to open that up as of yet....takes a long time for that to become apparent. Why would anyone want to risk the level of outstanding Bass fishing we have in Ontario so we can fish em for a few more months?

It was suggested at the FMZ18 meetings that we may be able to consider that but once the biologist showed us the impact of a fish being pulled from a bed for as little as 30 seconds it was a non starter.

RJ

I am not sure if New York allows fishing on all year on just Lake Ontario or on all lakes but I don't think it would have much impact on Lake Ontario. I attended one of the MNR seminars about the changes (which were only proposed at the time). Lake Ontario bass are actually still spawning in early July so the regulations that we had were not protecting the Lake Ontario bass during their spawn anyway. There had been some consideration to a delayed opening for the Lake Ontario itself but it was decided that was not required to maintain the health of the population.

We should be more like the usa if you ask me... if its a early spring open it early if its a late spring keep it closed longer . Ie this year the bow came in early and left early why not open it early if this is the case. why does it take 2 years of EBR and open forums to get things done. The MNR should have the power to open and close seasons based on seasonal changes with out interference from "special interest groups"

We should be more like the usa if you ask me... if its a early spring open it early if its a late spring keep it closed longer . Ie this year the bow came in early and left early why not open it early if this is the case. why does it take 2 years of EBR and open forums to get things done. The MNR should have the power to open and close seasons based on seasonal changes with out interference from "special interest groups"

I think that idea would have merit in some situations but would not have a large impact on the bass fishery.

The late spring issue was discussed at the seminar. In a late spawn the young of the year bass have less chance to achieve the body mass required to make it through the winter. The feeling was that in a late spawn the year class was essentially doomed and that there was little point in delaying the open to protect them.

I think that steel head would be an entirely different situation; your idea would make sense for them.

There are many examples of lakes in the US that have no closed bass season were populations remain stable over time and Im not just reffering to lakes with a much longer growing season. One study done showed that on a lake the size of Rice it only took 6 sucessfull nests to maintain a stable population through recruitment. My point is that yes even though taking fish off the nest temporarily or permanently may result in some or total loss of the fry there is no evidence that this would have a negative effect on the total population numbers.Lots of open lakes have proved out the sustainablity.

There are many examples of lakes in the US that have no closed bass season were populations remain stable over time and Im not just reffering to lakes with a much longer growing season. One study done showed that on a lake the size of Rice it only took 6 sucessfull nests to maintain a stable population through recruitment. My point is that yes even though taking fish off the nest temporarily or permanently may result in some or total loss of the fry there is no evidence that this would have a negative effect on the total population numbers.Lots of open lakes have proved out the sustainablity.

Exactly. From what I've witnessed and heard from most others I talk to is that our populations of not only numbers but size of fish has continued to improve for Bass. I believe that we have such a healthy population of them that I dont think it would have that much of an impact. I could be dead wrong, which is fine but IMO I think our fisheries (and fisherman) could handle it.

Hirk,

Do you know where I could access those studies? I'd love to give em a read.

The thinking in FMZ18 was that there was no way anyone wanted to risk putting the fishery as it is in any distress. A week earlier and two weeks later seemed like a good fit. In 18 we aren't dealing with large lakes for the most part. Our precious cottage lakes in the area would take a serious beating.

RJ

Exactly. From what I've witnessed and heard from most others I talk to is that our populations of not only numbers but size of fish has continued to improve for Bass. I believe that we have such a healthy population of them that I dont think it would have that much of an impact. I could be dead wrong, which is fine but IMO I think our fisheries (and fisherman) could handle it.

You guys need to start comparing similar lakes in similar climate conditions. Comparing a lake some down south in the US with a massive growing season to our lakes up here make ZERO sense.

There is a study done in indiana that looked at the effects of open seasons,bed fishing and c&r during largemouth spawning in their state and minnesota,ohio and a few other surrounding states all of which have not had a closed season for over 50 yrs except minnesota,very informative. I cant link it but google effects of catch and release on largemouth bass and look for the indiana study.