Old Roe?

Familyfisherman

So a bit of an interesting story from last week.

We fished last Friday at a local great lakes tributary...there were 4 in our group.

Now I don't have any roe, since a good friend of mine didn't invite me on their Humber river adventure in Sept to get any....but that's besides the point. So, a friend of mine has been great at providing roe when we get out, which I totally appreciate!

Anyways, unbeknownst to me while we left our vehicles Dave (the friend who gives me roe) says to the other guys "Between you and me, I gave Kev old roe I found in the back of my freezer, so he likely won't hook up too often today :)"

So, we get to the river, they go up river out of earshot, I start to fish. Right away I hook up with a nice 6.5lb silver hen, land it, release it (no pics, I was alone). I rebait, next drift, bang, fish on....fish off. I then see Dave coming around the bend into view.

I rebait, drift a couple times, fish on! I land another decent fish. Dave moves closer.

I rebait, next drift, FISH ON! 2 in 2 casts! As I fight, land, and release this fish Dave is now fishing my spot :(. No matter, I rebait, next drift, FISH ON! This happens 6 times in a row -- 6 fish on 6 successive drifts...by the end all the other guys were fishing the exact same spot -- NO FISH FOR THEM.

The fish would only hit the "old" roe.

I gave Dave a bag and he caught a fish immediately...then we were out of the old stuff...we didn't land another fish :)

Clearly at times vintage matters :)

Here's a pic...it was a fast and furious 40 minutes, so this is the only one I took...we were laughing pretty hard, obviously the joke backfired :)

photo-39.jpg

I'm presently fishing some rancid old spawn from 1999, which I found over the summer when we cleaned out an old freezer.

It looks disgusting and smells even worse, but catches fish just fine. Bill's right - in cold water, the stinkier the better.

Yup Craig. Apparently scent is most effective in cold water. And don't let anyone in this thread take credit for that discovery. The Lindners figured this out 30 years ago.

Nice fish.

Just a thought, the quality of your roe may not have mattered.. It might have been your presentation and where you were drifting that was key.

You could have had the same results fishing beads.

cheers

HD

Yup, presentation is absolutely #1.

Nice fish.