My 2012 Fishing Report

MCTFisher9120

Hello gang, well it's been a fun year so far to say the least. Been busy at it and didn't get to fish as much as I should of but still had a great year, now time to get some Perch for the freezer too soon :P The first trips out like every year were some Pike fishing with my good buddy. Fishing wasn't even close to as good as last seasons opening day Pike but we still caught a good pair of fish I remember. One bite me while rolling a spinnerbait behind the boat.

540673_126470654154321_1019465175_n.jpg

Here's Rick with another decent fish

535851_126470780820975_1587333199_n.jpg

Not to long after Pike opener I was on my way to New York to fish Chautauqua Lake with a awesome group of people. The trip was handed down from the boss to me this spring, I got to head on a trip with the Shimano reps and higher staff, a few sponsored pro's like JP DeRose and Simon Frost to name a pair as well as a few store owners from shops across Ontario. It was the most fun I think I've had and I learned lot's from these guys. Pro's really are good at they do and they all fish so differently, really something everybody needs to do even as a co-angler in a tournament.

Anyway on to the pic's, I got a temp license and was able to fish for Smallies as part of there catch & release season. Water was cold I remember in the 50's so cranks, jerkbaits, dropshot ruled the fishing there.

Got to fish with Dave on afternoon 1 in the rain. Showed me how to fish a senko a million ways haha, here's a nice smallmouth

ScreenHunter_08May091621.jpg

Showing off a largie

ScreenHunter_02May091618.jpg

Day two I got to fish with jp and blake. Here's blake with a tank smallie

ScreenHunter_10May091622.jpg

Myself with a decent one

ScreenHunter_11May091622.jpg

Nik with a 6lb smallie on the dropshot.

ScreenHunter_14May091623.jpg

One for me

ScreenHunter_13May091622.jpg

And another, this one was bigger haha. Came from 8ft of water

ScreenHunter_16May091623.jpg

Next and last day of that trip. Here was the departure the next morning...pumped as hell

ScreenHunter_18May091623.jpg

PB smallie for me, have to credit some of it to JP :P couldn't thank them enough for having me on this trip, I had a blast , the product testing was fun too:P

ScreenHunter_19May091624.jpg

After that I was busy as hell as gear was coming through then but made it out to Sturgeon twice with friends from work. We fished in the wind the one day and the rain the other. Nothing but small smallies the entire time. I wasn't controlling the boat or pounding docks but man didn't figure much out then.

Later in the summer we made our trip out east for a short week this time around. And after a dry hot summer I picked the week when it rained every single day haha. Kept the temps down but it was a touch bite some of the time when the storms were coming through.

Double header first pair

ScreenHunter_01Aug112036.jpg

Little brother chillin in the downpours

ScreenHunter_07Aug112043.jpg

Cranking the rocks and kept catching snot rocket's. Fun fight in 20FOW tho

ScreenHunter_10Aug112044.jpg

The shore fishing off the campsite is awesome to say the least. Here's my dad

ScreenHunter_16Aug112045.jpg

Chunky fish using the 4-stroke as a trolling motor pitching plastics :P Still at Kesagami in my mind I think I was

ScreenHunter_13Aug112044.jpg

Threw that fish back then worked the stretch another 10' and found this near 4

ScreenHunter_15Aug112045.jpg

Froggin at the parking lot

ScreenHunter_17Aug112045.jpg

Here's the young one with a nice topwater fish, have him a 6'8MH to use for the week and he got a few like this. Was proud and so was he :P

ScreenHunter_12Aug112044.jpg

Big largemouth of the week came off the bank in 2FOW. Threw the frog out a mile and this one crushed it, heard the Cumara creek a little but in the fish came

ScreenHunter_20Aug112046.jpg

ScreenHunter_21Aug112046.jpg

Fun times

ScreenHunter_35Aug112050.jpg

Another shore fish

ScreenHunter_37Aug112050.jpg

Sunny morning finally, out we went

ScreenHunter_42Aug112051.jpg

Fish missed the frog on 3 casts to the same spot, 4th time he took it down. Never swung so hard but nice 4lb fish

ScreenHunter_40Aug112051.jpg

Average fish this year it seemed

ScreenHunter_46Aug112052.jpg

Crankbait Pike

ScreenHunter_57Aug112055.jpg

The last morning of the trip was a fun one. I went with my uncle and little brother. Here's a big chunky largie I got off the start

ScreenHunter_59Aug112056-1.jpg

My uncle caught a nice bass after that and then we had no luck for awhile...I was frogging this stretch and this fish just made a wake like ive never seen and took my 1/2oz bait down. I had 60lb braid spooled this year so heavier than my 50from last year. I pulled back and this fish came at us in a hurry. I didn't feel it's weight until the last bit of the fight, the pad edge is 6ft deep and this fish pulled straight to bottom about 3 times and the flex in the rod and me leaning brought it up, did the death roll then I grabbed it.

ScreenHunter_62Aug112057-1.jpg

That frog was down it's throat and the line was around 3 or 4 teeth. Didn't fray. Kudos to Sunline FX2 froggin braid, cast's awesome has barely any color loss and just was a hit for me this year in the 50lb and 60lb.

One last bass and the trip was soon over

ScreenHunter_64Aug112057-1.jpg

On to work now and September wasn't far away

ScreenHunter_71Aug112059-1.jpg

I rented a cottage for a few days and got to fish during a cooler time of year. The frog went away and out came the 1/2oz t-rigged plastics, shakyhead's, tubes anddirty senkos. Fishing was slow, just had to fish lot's of water between bites but enjoyed the time I spent up there. Going for a week next year in September I think.

Action shot bringing in a small largie, mom was quick on the camera haha

DSCF7357.jpg

DSCF7360.jpg

Little Pike

DSCF7950.jpg

Double header

DSCF7655.jpg

Another nice bass

DSCF3298.jpg

Went over to the shore spot for a fish with the Senko since the cover had moved out and got one bite :P

DSCF3325.jpg

Working the pads seemed to be key, held the heat a bit and was only cover around

DSCF3305.jpg

1 small bass

DSCF7687.jpg

2 small bass

DSCF7681.jpg

3 small bass

DSCF7618.jpg

Got out for a few hours on the last morning and it was cold out. Worked 2 points with a jerkbait and a tube, then went over to some shoreline with pads in 6 and 8ft...worked a senko on a mile long cast. Was a 1 bite morning, produced a awesome largemouth. Got the net out, fish was ice cold...was a nice taste of fall fishing. Excited to do it a little more next year

DSCF3313.jpg

Next season is going to be a blast. I am planning a trip with some friends to head to hopefully a fly in lodge next spring, a 2 week camping trip in August over the teaser this summer and more time in the fall :) Thanks for having a look, really makes you miss the boat and the quiet out on the water :Gonefishing:

DSCF3311.jpg

Now time for some water to freeze up, its Perch time :P

MTBF

Some great outings and fish in there Mike. Enjoyable 2012 season for you for sure.

Question though, did you guide this year? Any pics from up on the lake?

No didn't get up to Kesagami this season Moose. Trying to plan a vacation there with some buddies from the shop for next spring tho :D

Thanks for the reply's guys, sure made for some fun trips. Now I have 3x the tackle and half the time on the water haha :P Got to love working in a outdoors store.

Great report Mike!

Your annual season recap reports keep getting better and better. Can't wait for next year!

OFC has watched you go from a learning fisherman, so a seasoned vet, out there fishing with the pro's. Very cool to see!