Canoe Repair (NF)

Motorhead

I was offered a free 16` canoe. :thumbsup_anim: It was going to the dump so I grabbed it even though it`s in really rough shape...

After looking it over I thought I`d just sand it down with a belt sander and re-fibreglass it ???

The only paddling I do is on the Grand River from Caledonia to Cayuga a few times a year so weight is not an issue... there`s no portaging involved .

Here`s some pictures of it so you`ll get the idea of what I have to work with ???

This is the only identification I can find on it ??? Any ideas what make this is ??? :dunno:

gallery_80_253_54337.jpg

This is the bottom.... lots of old caulking and previous patch jobs ( I can see this ruining alot of belts)

gallery_80_253_59767.jpg

gallery_80_253_40544.jpg

gallery_80_253_41271.jpg

Here`s the yoke... Made out of a broken paddle :blink:

gallery_80_253_42874.jpg

Here`s one of the inside and of a nice crack in the stern :unsure:

gallery_80_253_19285.jpg

gallery_80_253_47147.jpg

gallery_80_253_42822.jpg

Doesn`t look to promising but I figured what the hell..... a can or 2 of resin, 100sq feet of glass and who knows how many belts for my beltsander :wallbash: and when I`m done it should hopefully float for the few hours per trip that I`m in it :blink:

I`m open for suggestions.... and if I do end up making the time to start this project I`ll take lots of pictures on the progress...

thanks

Doug

LOL, where did the nose(or was that the tail) end of the canoe get to, most times damage is to the main body??

If the keel is good, you can fabricate the nose(or tail),.... get it back in as best shape as possible with wood or alumimum thwarts, along with adding some fibreglass and paint, and it will be a decent boat for a back lake stowaway, if its legal where you are.

Doug... Doug... Doug... (insert shaking of head here) what have you done???? Even I've seen better days than than that thing.

If I was going to fix that I would fill all the void and hole with a chopped fiberglass and resin mixture, sand smooth and the re gel coat the whole canoe. Because in order to just re fiberglass using cloth you would have to take all the old gel-coat off down to original fiberglass for proper adhesion.

looks like an old coleman fiberglass, call coleman canada and ask if you can get a cap for it. Current coleman canoes are made in Quebec by Pelican, I have ordered parts from them in the past (also a cap, but for a newer canoe), cost should only be about $15, the might even have a set of new rails for the sides, then your off to the races.

I still have the exact canoe as that at the in-laws farm, I painted it with Tremclad, just hand sand and spray on the paint -> 7 years latter and the paint is doing great. This might save you some work.

Entropy