Environmental Consulting - NF

GreenCanada

Good afternoon everyone,

So I've been looking for a job since finishing a M.Sc. in Environmental Biology at Guelph and it is very obvious that there are slim pickings right now, due largely in part to budgetary cut backs in federal and provincial agencies. That just means an influx of experienced people to compete for the same jobs. I'm qualified for a number of environmental science/biology/microbiology related roles, but it seems consulting is likely my best bet for the foreseeable future.

I thought I would ask around here and see if anyone works for environmental consulting firms or if you would be interested in talking to me a bit more about the industry. I do have cover letters and resumes if you're interested, but I'm mostly looking for some friendly advice to help get me started in the environmental or water industry. I have lots of practical experience in a variety of fields, which complements my educational background.

So if you are interested in connecting with me and discussing things further or if you know of someone who might want to speak with me, feel free to PM and we can go from there. I'm not expecting a job to come from this posting, but it would be awesome if I were able to find a few more leads.

Oh, ideally I'm looking to work somewhere around Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville/Waterloo/Guelph/Milton/Mississauga/Toronto/Caledon/Orangeville or possibly up by North Bay/Sudbury. Those are preferences, but I'm open to others.

If anyone is able to help me at all, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers

GC

I gave you some insight in a previous thread you posted. I work for an Env consulting firm in North Bay ... I'm busy as hell and am trying to convince my boss to hire a second person for my office. From what I see, there should be a fair bit of work available in the field, but lack of meaningful experience will be your biggest hurdle.

I assume that you have connected with every conservation authority in the province?

Send resumes, but always follow up each submission with a phone call. Get names and numbers and repeat. Getting a job is hard work. These days, getting a job in your field is even more difficult. Be a pain in their

ear!

HH

go north or go west...look at mining and oil/gas

higher paying and more jobs available, especially to enter the industry, once you have experience, you can fight for the slim pickings in southern ON

No doubt about that, though even out west it seems to have slowed down considerably in the last year. I actually would prefer to live out west, but I'll likely need to be in Ont for the next couple of years while my partner pursues her dream (of being an architect). While I'd like to live out West, I would definitely stay put in Ont if the right opportunity came along.

I gave you some insight in a previous thread you posted. I work for an Env consulting firm in North Bay ... I'm busy as hell and am trying to convince my boss to hire a second person for my office. From what I see, there should be a fair bit of work available in the field, but lack of meaningful experience will be your biggest hurdle.

Hey RC, thanks again for your responses, I've been using all I learned from people in my past thread to improve my methods for connecting with people and meeting them face to face at conferences, etc. I actually just found that thread again (surprised it took me awhile) and will be going over that info again. :canadian:

I assume that you have connected with every conservation authority in the province?

Send resumes, but always follow up each submission with a phone call. Get names and numbers and repeat. Getting a job is hard work. These days, getting a job in your field is even more difficult. Be a pain in their ear!

HH

Thanks HH! Yes, I have definitely been in contact with every CA in Ontario and while few positions are available, the vast majority of hirings occur typically in late winter or early spring. I appreciate your suggestions, as always! :D

edit: forgot a word

Edited by GreenCanada

Guelph's a great school, I had a blast up there, I have a BSc in Fish and Wildlife from there, I don't have any tips, but best of luck in your search, keep trying

Thanks Chris. I also did my BSc up there and it definitely is a great school. The campus has really expanded in the last 3-4 years with lots of new science facilities for research.

I'd say you should try OPS if you don't mind working for the gov. :P they do have some jobs like that "environmental..."

http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Search.aspx?Language=English

there's one job for you: ;)http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.aspx?JobID=48354

I have 3 applications in right now for other positions that are closed now, but thanks for the tip! :thumbsup_anim:

The OPS would be great experience, but it's really hard to get into from what I've seen. I would consider a couple of the postions I applied for as "dream jobs", but ones I'm definitely qualified for. I actually hadn't seen that new one you linked to, so I'll check it out! Thanks!

My cousin just got a job with a company called Stantec. He had a job offer from another company as well. Both in GTA.

Might try looking them up if you have not already.

Thanks for the idea, I've been keeping a close eye on Stantec as well! :)

Have you tried looking at the forest industry? Domtar and Tembec both have a sence in Ontario.

Never thought about that avenue, so I'll be looking into them tomorrow! Thanks again

In that field you can either live where you want and no work in it or move to where the jobs are. Head north, you will make money get your 2 years experience and then be able to apply for a whole new suite of jobs. Working in remote locations will give you a whole new set of problem solving skills, in valuable skills in consulting with Aboriginal groups, very marketable when looking to move south. Gov of NU or NT will pay your moves both ways mostly and Northern Living allowance is often considerable.

Environmental consulting is a growing field with Gov'ts cutting back their staff, resources and often mandates to save bucks. Get your experience where you can and get ready for GC or OMNR to farm out projects they no longer have the capacity to do.

GC,

As mentioned above about the forestry industry by me, it is the most renewable resource in the world.

I started in the commercial paper industry in 1981 and have enjoyed a great career all along the way. Yes paper use has been in decline since 2002 but there will come a leveling point.

On the lumber side, there is steady growth each year. Our entire industry is now in a state of upgrading to new world wide environmental standards such as FSC standards. I think that you would enjoy a long steady career in my industry.

Regards,

Warren